1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

SCN9A variant and dysautonomia

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hoopoe, Dec 15, 2023.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A clinical geneticist believes that a rare variant in the SCN9A gene could be responsible for at least a part of my symptoms. The variant is extremely rare (1 in 1.4 million alleles) and not found in healthy people.

The gene is associated with small fibre neuropathy which would fit, but there is also an apparently hereditory orthostatic intolerance which is giving me some doubts because SCN9A is usually mentioned in the context of pain rather than orthostatic intolerance. Can we construct a credible narrative where a SCN9A variant is mostly causing orthostatic intolerance and some dysautonomia?

2. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Curious to know if you get anywhere with this, especially as from memory we have an awful lot of symptom overlap. Have you had the genetic testing to confirm this mutation already?

After diagnosing SFN my neurologist suggested sending me to a sodium channel mutation expert. In his words I was somewhat of an anomaly and unlike his hundreds of other patients with SFN/dysautonomia. I think said expert was Prof David Bennett in Oxford.

Unfortunately my neurologist ended up on long-term sick and I was discharged from his clinic :thumbsdown:

RedFox, alktipping, voner and 4 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Yes it has been confirmed.

PS: but for now it's just a hypothesis that it has something to do with my symptoms. I'm waiting to hear from my neurologist on the next steps.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2023
    RedFox, alktipping, voner and 5 others like this.
  4. jaded

jaded Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’m awaiting my results for sodium channel mutations which has taken nearly 2 years to come back due to a paperwork mix up.

I’m not sure how it would fit with dysautonomia. I share both that and severe widespread pain.

Have you had any response to sodium channel blockers? I haven’t.

alktipping, voner, Mij and 2 others like this.
  5. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hoopoe,

good question.

here’s a recent paper published on autonomic dysfunction and variants.

Genetic landscape of congenital insensitivity to pain and hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathies
    Brain, Volume 146, Issue 12, December 2023

https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awad328

Publications by Steven Waxman (Yale) and associates might also be worth checking out.

alktipping, Kitty and Hoopoe like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have two threads on SCN9A, one from 2020 —

Case report: Association of small-fiber polyneuropathy with three previously unassociated rare missense SCN9A variants (2020)

and from 2023 —

Integrative miRNA–mRNA profiling of human epidermis: unique signature of SCN9A painful neuropathy (2023, Brain)

See also papers in thread on voltage-gated sodium channels in pain —

Identification and targeting of a unique NaV1.7 domain driving chronic pain (2023, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences)

alktipping, Hoopoe, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  7. Hoopoe

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25957174/

It sounds like it might be relevant.

Nav1.7 is also expressed in the hypothalamus where, among other things, it's involved in the release of vasopressin which is relevant to orthostatic intollerance.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    alktipping, Amw66 and voner like this.