1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Scientists discover first new HIV strain in nearly two decades By Jen Christensen, CNN (Nov 7, 2019)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Patient4Life, Nov 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scientists discover first new HIV strain in nearly two decades By Jen Christensen, CNN (Nov 7, 2019)

Trish, Sarah94, duncan and 3 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This phenomenon is not just restricted to HIV.

3. Patient4Life

Exactly. I don't think we are going to see the same variants of virus that caused the ME outbreaks and may never have outbreaks again. Nor were the outbreaks caused by the same variant every time. What ever virus was in LA Hospital in 1934, Royal Free Hospital in 1955, and Incline Village in 1984 were no doubt different.

Marky and duncan like this.
  4. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really interesting read https://me-pedia.org/wiki/1934_Los_Angeles_atypical_polio_outbreak

198 people at the same time.. That`s a lot

5. Patient4Life

Yes. And, the initial illness in the hospital came from a vaccine they were testing. Apparently, as one clinician in Canada had said, the 1932 polio outbreak in southern California impacted 100,000? people. But, a small percentage did not have polio, they had something else. So, they took the blood serum of the patients that had "something else" and injected it into the nursing staff at LA Hospital. Then, many that received the injection became ill with this same mysterious disease AND I believe it was infectious and impacted the staff caring for them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    Marky likes this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I suspect that all this needs treating with caution. There are about four contemporaneous papers and when all are read it becomes clear that opinions formed on the basis of reading the Gillam one only may be artefactual.

7. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who/what is Gillam?

8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry. Typo-it should be Gilliam

Epidemiological Study Of An Epidemic, Diagnosed As Poliomyelitis, Occurring Among The Personnel Of The Los Angeles County General Hospital During The Summer Of 1934” - Public Health Bulletin no.231-240 1936-1938 By: A.G. Gilliam[1] (Full Text)

9. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, my bad actually, on re-reading I see is misunderstood Gillam as the name of a publication, not as an author.

chrisb likes this.