1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Science minded people--help me engineer a simple structure to stay warm?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Guest 2176, Nov 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

I'm actually thinking about us trying this even for a short time. Especially thinking about Baja california. But we need to renew our passports ane my sister cant find hers so shed need to do a new passport application and its all juwt another thing to add to the pile of stuff to deal with. I think with gear we coukd probably handle a winter in death valley but also why not try a couple weeks camping on a beach in mexico or something?

2. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

I just know very little about mexico , both in terms of where people feel the best locations are for air, and also how safe it is to sleep outsife in various regions, and I dont know the language

Yessica likes this.
  3. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

Its not stupid --we have to and will figure out more $$, and thinking ahead is never stupid. A lot of the cheap warm gear we've gotten at vegas Walmarts is not that warm. We do have long underwear but it simply doesnt feel that warm. So definitely looking for better stuff.

Skycloud and Yessica like this.
  4. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

The other frustrating thing is I definitely have stuff--books, guitars, a computer, etc , both at home and out here in a storage space, tbat i could sell but simply dont have the wnergy to do it. I have asked my parents to sell some of the things but they have not. So i do have a possible revenue source not being tapped

Lisa108, Skycloud and Sarah94 like this.
  5. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

Its as much a labor shortage as financial issue--well its both. If we had one or two more healthy friends to help come out and sort some of this out, even for a couple weeks, it would help a ton

Lisa108, meg22, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm so sorry to hear you're in this impossible situation.

Some thoughts....do people in the US routinely abandon wooden pallets by the roadside, etc, from where you can pick them up for free? If I were having to sleep out, I'd do my best to build a sort of bed box (with sides and ends as well as a base), made from wood or pallets with the gaps between the boards stuffed with polystyrene/Styrofoam. Okay, it would probably look for all the world like a badly-made coffin, but it'd provide the basis of a really well-insulated sleeping cocoon!

In terms of clothing – as a wheelchair user who likes birding, I buy secondhand ski gear whenever I find it in charity shops. It's very well insulated and usually waterproof, and because it's bulky to store and there are families who go on a ski trip just once, people do give away perfectly serviceable stuff.

Sorry if none of this is useful. I've never visited the US, so I don't know what sort of stuff you can blag for free and how easy (or not) it is to find it.

Lisa108, ChloeC, meg22 and 7 others like this.
  7. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think both strategies combined would be good. Something like an emergency heat retaining blanket wrapped around you, outside of good heat-insulation layers; the good ones are intended to help combat wind chill, which is a major factor in cold weather. But the tent would protect you from wind chill, which means with a bit of luck with the emergency blanket as well you may be relatively warm.

andypants likes this.
  8. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Xps (had to google that!) could work well but could be hard to seal them well enough to keep the wind and draft out while still keeping enough ventilation. If you could build a small cot and seal the gaps well, then make a door out of a tarp or something that would protect against the wind it should work, but that seems like a lot of work. What I would be concerned about is ventilation, you would need to either allow some gaps or create a ventilation shaft to make sure you dont suffocate during sleep.

I agree with @Barry. If it were me I would get something like xps for flooring but keep the tent as it should work well for breaking the wind which as Barry says is the most important thing. If the tent is not doing a great job I would rather have an extra tarp layer than building something, and then as you wrote focus on retaining body heat. Even when crossing the Arctic they sleep in tents:) Having a small source of heating to use during the day would make it more comfortable when awake but I would not use one at night if you can help it as I would be concerned about fire and air quality depending on the heating source.

9. ChloeC

ChloeC Established Member

I saw a post recently in an ME Facebook group (can't remember which) with a lot of recommendations for layering clothing and footwear to keep warm when outdoors in a wheelchair for long periods in the winter. Can't look it up now but mentioning it anyway as I may not remember to come back later to find and share the post. Has anyone else seen the post I'm talking about?

Guest 2176 and Kitty like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bee thinking back to my hiking and camping days (40 years ago, so they're buried deep!)

We were taught to wear a different set of clothes at night than during the day. There'll always be some vapour from respiration and sweating, and getting damp is the best way to get cold. Hang out the set that you're not wearing to keep them as dry as possible.

As well as ground insulation, make sure your tent isn't too big. You need to have enough space so you don't get condensation, but empty space allows heat to escape.

Always sleep in a woolly cap and socks, and never wear cotton next to your skin – it absorbs moisture very efficiently, but takes forever to dry.

Eat fat and protein at night, to give yourself energy to keep warm.

Guest 2176, Wits_End, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  11. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

Ive actually learned that a decent amount of new Mexico state parks have electric

Kitty, Yessica, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  12. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

My ultimate goal financially is to have a trailer of some kind to live out of. An insulated metal box. I think that might actually save me money in the long run as far as being able to tolerate it. Have actually looked at selling the vehicle we currently have (which doesn't really work ad a camper) and trying to get a used ambulance , which is basically a very nicely insulated metal box on wheels. But I'm not sure if that will happen very soon.

13. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

So for now I want to focus on getting warm gear for camping. I am going to make that Amazon list

Kitty, andypants, Lisa108 and 2 others like this.
  14. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

I made the list, since some members expressed interest in helping out. Unsure if it would be okay to post the Amazon list though directly in the forum ...if it breaks rules , etc

Kitty and Sarah94 like this.
  15. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

I added items to it that some members have recommended

Kitty, Sarah94 and Yessica like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Anyone interested in helping you could send you a private message.

Amw66, Kitty, ringding and 2 others like this.
  17. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

18. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

IMG_20191129_122818483.jpg
    Real cold hwre. My parents let us have money to stay two nights in a hotel. I have aching flu like symptoms in this storm and desperately want to go to a hot springs or hot tub

19. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How are you doing @debored13 ? I hope you're managing to stay warm

TiredSam, Skycloud, andypants and 2 others like this.
  20. Guest 2176

Guest 2176 Guest

Today I'm warm but in an indoor space thats not healthy for me. That's the devil's bargain with this illness!!

JemPD, Yessica, Skycloud and 2 others like this.