1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Science: "Meet the ‘data thugs’ out to expose shoddy and questionable research"

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by Andy, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Anybody up for pointing them in the direction of PACE?
    http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/meet-data-thugs-out-expose-shoddy-and-questionable-research

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Solstice, Louie41, Barry and 5 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure I've come across these guys before. Their methods pick up things like means that are impossible numerically for the data and sample size. In other words, calculation errors or made up data.

I don't think they have shown any interest in the more complex problems in PACE. And I doubt the PACE people got their sums wrong or made up data. They just did a whole lot of unscientific stuff that made their data crap.

Annamaria, Solstice, Louie41 and 5 others like this.
  4. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Nick is well aware of it, and SMILE.

Annamaria, Solstice, Louie41 and 7 others like this.
  5. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dodgy sex-psychology paper finally gets retracted
    Research on men helping high-heeled women pulled because of sloppy data.

Two years ago, Ars published a story about some famous psychology research that smelled... off. Psychologist Nicolas Guéguen's flashy findings on human sexuality appeared to be riddled with errors and inconsistencies, and two researchers had raised an alarm.
    Now, four years after James Heathers and Nick Brown first started digging into Guéguen's work, one of his papers has been retracted. The study reported that men were more helpful to women wearing high heels compared to mid heels or flats. "As a man I can see that I prefer to see my wife when she wears high heels, and many men in France have the same evaluation," Guéguen told Time in its coverage of the paper.