1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

RNaseL

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by wastwater, Jul 16, 2019.

1. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What happened to RNaseL it was mentioned as a potential bio marker in earlier work

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@wastwater, are you able to link to some of the research you refer to. My memory is not up to it!

wastwater, Annamaria and ladycatlover like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good question. Here in Belgium, De Meirleir was involved and made a diagnostic test about it. It was a big deal around 15 years ago. My guess is that somebody showed that these tests were unreliable, but I can't find the study that did that.

Here are some of the studies:

Suhadolnik et al. 1994. Upregulation of the 2-5A synthetase/RNase L antiviral pathway associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Suhadolnik et al. 1997. Biochemical evidence for a novel low molecular weight 2-5A-dependent RNase L in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Nijs & De Meirleir, 2005. Impairments of the 2-5A synthetase/RNase L pathway in chronic fatigue syndrome.

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is never safe to assume that with ME, Michiel :) Over the years things keep getting rediscovered and it is very frustrating. Researchers leave the field or retire and no one picks up their work.