1. All the 'News In Brief' from w/c 14th May. Click here to read.
    Dismiss Notice

Right Arcuate Fasciculus Abnormality in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2014, Zeineh, Montaya et al

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by Andy, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paper is from 2014, I thought I'd post this as it comes up in the Q&A with Dr Montoya.
    Full text available at http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiol.14141079

Press release from Stanford, http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...bnormalities-in-chronic-fatigue-patients.html

diwa, Milo, Forbin and 14 others like this.
  2. oldtimer

oldtimer Established Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks. I read the full text and it made a big difference to my understanding when Jose Montoya referred to it in his talk today. I was really pleased to hear that research in this area is being continued.

Forbin, MEMarge, Allele and 4 others like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and Jan like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I would hope they investigate is the degree of abnormality with respect to both severity and disease duration.

Mij, Jan, Skycloud and 1 other person like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know that this is actually caused by the disease, though? Could it instead be a predisposition?

Skycloud likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hence why I want to know what is happening with severity and duration. With differentiating from predisposition the disease duration issue is particularly important. However we might need to understand what causes ME and we might also need a study showing development of ME over time, and measuring things like fasciculus enlargement. If the enlargement is smaller in new patients, and bigger in patients who have been ill for a long time, then we might have a partial answer. A large prospective study might do it, but the cost and logistics are probably prohibitive right now.

Mij, Jan and Forbin like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there is a structural change after onset, I wonder if it could possibly be related to the pattern of headaches seen in ME/CFS. Virtually all of the case definitions mention headache, with both the CCC and the CDC's Fukuda definition using this language:
    I certainly developed headaches of a new type after onset - a kind of continuous migraine, but they really were only a feature of the first few months of the illness.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    Jan likes this.