1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 11th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Right Arcuate Fasciculus Abnormality in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2014, Zeineh, Montoya et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paper is from 2014, I thought I'd post this as it comes up in the Q&A with Dr Montoya.
    Full text available at http://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/radiol.14141079

Press release from Stanford, http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-ne...bnormalities-in-chronic-fatigue-patients.html

2. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many thanks. I read the full text and it made a big difference to my understanding when Jose Montoya referred to it in his talk today. I was really pleased to hear that research in this area is being continued.

3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What I would hope they investigate is the degree of abnormality with respect to both severity and disease duration.

inox, adambeyoncelowe, Mij and 3 others like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do we know that this is actually caused by the disease, though? Could it instead be a predisposition?

adambeyoncelowe and Skycloud like this.
  6. alex3619

Hence why I want to know what is happening with severity and duration. With differentiating from predisposition the disease duration issue is particularly important. However we might need to understand what causes ME and we might also need a study showing development of ME over time, and measuring things like fasciculus enlargement. If the enlargement is smaller in new patients, and bigger in patients who have been ill for a long time, then we might have a partial answer. A large prospective study might do it, but the cost and logistics are probably prohibitive right now.

inox, adambeyoncelowe, Inara and 3 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there is a structural change after onset, I wonder if it could possibly be related to the pattern of headaches seen in ME/CFS. Virtually all of the case definitions mention headache, with both the CCC and the CDC's Fukuda definition using this language:
    I certainly developed headaches of a new type after onset - a kind of continuous migraine, but they really were only a feature of the first few months of the illness.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The authors conclude that "Right anterior arcuate FA may be a biomarker for CFS". What's about this? Could it? Why or why not?

So what would need to be done is a new study with a cohort consisting of ME plus other diseases and healthy controls to confirm this?

Does somebody know which chance there is for such a study being positive?

Can this diagnostic tool be applied in clinical practice?

What are the consequences of an increased/thicker right anterior arcuate FA?

(I have the slight feeling all this might have been answered during Montoya's Q&A... :confused:)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  9. ivorin

ivorin Established Member (Voting Rights)

So, can anyone explain to me why this isn't used as a potential biomarker, or even in the pipeline as one? Am I missing something as usual?

Inara likes this.
  10. Inara

The authors say in the paper this can be used as a potential biomarker but needs follow-up (small cohort, needs to be tested on a different cohort...).

Still, if this could be a potential biomarker, will there be a follow-up?

11. ivorin

ivorin Established Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly my thoughts, what happened with this :(

Inara likes this.
  12. alex3619

I think a follow up study is underway.

13. Inara

Yay! :party::couchpotato

14. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did the follow up study ever happen?