1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Review: Chronic fatigue syndrome and quality of life, 2018, Roberts

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.dovepress.com/chronic-f...y-of-life-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-PROM

MEMarge, Dolphin, Sean and 4 others like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

hmmm. Whilst quality of life does need better definition, And listening to patients is important, I’m not sure this paper does very much to change the predominant obsession with mood and unhelpful beliefs as oppose to cognitive dysfunction and exertion intolerance being the main impacts to quality of life.

Mood and anxiety are fairly insignificant so why the overemphasis? Not a very balanced literature survey either since no mention of the fact that the current therapies are not successful.

I suppose there is a mild challenge to inadequacies to the chalder questionnaire nonsense and it does mention the importance of memory problems , but it is way off the mark in my opinion.

Dolphin, Snow Leopard, EzzieD and 8 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know this is a review of data gathered through questionnaires, but I don't see how they don't see that the flippin' questionnaires are part of the problem, in my opinion.

The questionnaires do not necessarily capture the information that they are designed to elicit and, even if they do happen to design it right for a specific instance, it isn't necessarily appropriate to use it elsewhere.

Questionnaires are so easily biased, questions can often be misinterpreted by the patient because they are ambiguous, patients can be subtly coached etc., etc.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

On the plus side she points out the some of the problems with CFQ and SF-36 to assess progress in CFS. On the down side , she suggests another questionnaire as the solution. Has she never heard of objective measures? And as others have said, why the obsession with mood.

Forestvon, Barry, Dolphin and 10 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Not such a hard question. The clue is in what they are trying to measure things for:

Clearly the rehabilitation isn't likely to fix your cognitive dysfunction or exertion intolerance. But it can change how happy you are about having those problems, at least as reported in a questionnaire.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have now read this in full. I will post some comments but I should probably say that I didn't find this paper particularly exciting and I'm not even sure that any comments I have are that interesting. But I've read it, so thought I would post my comments and some extracts somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  7. Dolphin

I have read previously that satisfaction surveys can often give high scores so perhaps this is of use.

8. Dolphin

Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  9. Dolphin

10. Dolphin

She does highlight that the illness can have dramatic effects.
    [..]

11. Dolphin

This is a model she presents. I'm not convinced that the illness begins with such bad circadian rhythm dysregulation that it can be listed as a aetiological factor. Most people when they become ill will be working full-time or studying full-time outside the home and so will likely need to get up at the same time every day. So I'm not convinced a large percentage have the option of having a circadian rhythm dysfunction.

Also not convinced that severe muscle deconditioning occurs at the start as most people aren’t diagnosed for a long time and won't have the option to be very inactive. They will still likely be expected to work or study and/or deal with any childcare responsibilities.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Andy, MEMarge, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  12. Dolphin

MEMarge, Skycloud, Trish and 2 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

inox, MEMarge and Invisible Woman like this.
  14. Dolphin

Where she is coming from

15. Dolphin

Not much focus on this in a lot of the clinical trials or also the audits of CFS services.

16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I took it to mean that as qualitative analysis is wiffley waffley, it is very unreliable as input for determining health care services.

MEMarge likes this.
  17. Dolphin

Invisible Woman and MEMarge like this.
  18. Dolphin

Showing what she believes.

19. Dolphin

I don't recall this paper being cited or referred to much so I have started a thread on it.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/quali...fatigue-syndrome-van-heck-de-vries-2002.5719/

20. Dolphin