1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Restless legs syndrome

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by Hutan, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

leokitten and merylg like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

I get this for a few weeks in the summer, usually when it's very warm at night. It stops me sleeping. I'll try a spoonful of marmalade next time, if I remember.

Hutan and Trish like this.
  3. merylg

merylg Established Member (Voting Rights)

I get Restless Legs Syndrome from MSG & Metformin.

Hutan likes this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2021
    Hutan likes this.
  5. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t get RLS but chronically have something similar to this in my lower legs and feet, more of a feeling of not getting enough blood flow and oxygen down there and the resulting throbbing aches and pains. I also feel the need to stretch muscles and joints down there because it helps with the pain.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Wonko and Hutan like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Time to try that spoonful of marmalade ...

Hutan and Wonko like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely sticky restless legs would not be an improvement?

Arnie Pye, shak8, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly @Mij RLS is listed as a symptom of iron deficiency - low ferritin

Mij and Trish like this.
  9. DokaGirl

Yup. Been working on my ferritin level, which was low. RLS was quite bothersome, especially later in the day. With more iron intake my RLS has lessened.

I can't recall if mainstream medicine views the cause of RLS a mystery or not. Of course ferritin is not a go-to test.

Mij likes this.
  10. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@DokaGirl

Secondary causes of restless legs syndrome and exacerbating factors should be recognized and treated

This includes managing renal impairment,2 treating serum ferritin below 50 μg/L,3 eliminating antidopaminergic drugs, addressing sleep hygiene, and reducing caffeine and alcohol intake. About two-thirds of patients resort to alternative treatments. 2 Regular physical activity and cognitive behavioural therapy may improve mood, anxiety and sleep, but require high-quality randomized controlled trials to confirm their efficacy.2

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/189/6/E245

Arnie Pye and DokaGirl like this.
  11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I.believe my GPs response when I raised RLS was to comment lots of things might cause me to think I had RLS.

No tests, discussion, or debate as to why I'd brought it up, just lots of things might make me think I had it.

No explanation as to what any of these things might be that caused me to say I had such and such symptoms and these appeared to match with RLS.

No denial of proposal, no agreement, no testing, no questions, no suggestions as to anything to try.

I would gave been better off mentioning it to a sandwich.

At least a use can.be found for sandwiches after any discussion has occurred.

Anyone would think that my esteemed GP of several years, after extensive medical training and decades of clinical experience, didn't think RLS is real, that it only exists in the heads of patients.

12. DokaGirl

@Wonko

A serious topic. Frustrating to have this, and zilch medical help. But your sandwich comment made me chuckle!

There are no sandwich icons here, but maybe cake will do? :cake:

How many times have people with health concerns had experiences similar to what you described? :banghead: :( :banghead:

alktipping, Trish, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  13. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You should go to Finland. We tried this three years ago (last splendid trip of the before times). It was completely fine, although well complemented with juniper gin. Would be a bit more reticent about cockroaches though.

DokaGirl, Arnie Pye and alktipping like this.