1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Response: Sharpe, Goldsmith and Chalder fail to restore confidence in the PACE trial findings

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 26, 2019.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's when you use the blunt face of the razor. It doesn't so much cut as crush and puree but then all you have to do is redefine what cutting means and you're good to go, fast-track everything to the Lancet and have your buddies do a positive review for Cochrane.

Sean, andypants, Barry and 2 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

upload_2019-3-27_18-38-17.png

Sharpe really is incorrigible. As always, strongly implying untruths by very selectively filtering the truths that get seen and those that get hidden. He is getting so blatant with it now. Desperate? And he purports to be a scientist. He seems to think this is how science is done. I'm convinced this mindset played a major part in the PACE methodological flaws.

3. large donner

large donner Guest

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why did I suddenly think of cubscouting?

Can't understand basic science, can only understand tweeting inane non-sequiter gripes?

ukxmrv, obeat, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  5. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has to have a bearing on the Cochrane review. Surely the weaknesses of the PACE trial paper are so laid bare now that there's no place left to hide them however hard some might try. I'm having trouble weighing this up against my ingrained low expectations though. What do others think?

6. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you declare the PACE trial inadmissable (because changing endpoints to make sure you get the right result is not science - as the authors have admitted they did in print) and use the published results from FINE rather than the unpublished adhoc results, there can barely be enough numbers left to say anything, can there?

rvallee, Barry, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm working with our local health authority to revise the clinical guidance for ME/CFS. And this morning the health authority forwarded an email from a physiotherapist who seemed very pleased to have found the Sharpe, Goldsmith and Chalder article defending PACE. And the health authority people asked the question, 'Any comments?'.

And I, even in my PEM and migraine befuddled state, smiled. I attached the Wilshire and Kindlon article to my reply, knowing that it set out, beautifully clearly, what needed to be said. Thanks Tom and Carolyn.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If they couldn't spot the problems with that piece for themself, that's a sign that they really shouldn't be getting paid for anything to do with CFS.

Invisible Woman, Atle, Sean and 19 others like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FINE had null results and it's still used as positive evidence in the review. Quality of evidence is obviously not a factor here.

But it's hard to maintain the value of the review without the only ersatz evidence of any value, thanks to its combined eminence of being very expensive and being published by The Lancet (who would never, ever publish flawed research, QED).

Invisible Woman, ukxmrv, Sean and 7 others like this.
  10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bizarrely I found this on MS twitter feed
    Using evidence to overcome fake news about healthcare
    a podcast of a shortish lecture by Professor Carl Heneghan
    http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/using-evidence-overcome-fake-news-about-healthcare

CEBM is
    The Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine develops, promotes and disseminates better evidence for healthcare.
    https://www.cebm.net/

he's on twitter
    https://twitter.com/carlheneghan?lang=en

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

12. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)