1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Respiratory Chain Enzyme Function Analysis in ME?

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Rossy191276, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Rossy191276

Rossy191276 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Does anybody know if researchers have done any respiratory chain enzyme function analysis studies using muscle tissue in ME?

The mitochondrial disease doctor I saw said that it is a way to diagnose genetic mito but I would think that respiratory chain enzyme dysfunction could be a secondary result to potential ME factors as well...my scientific knowledge is very limited so would be happy for those of you with better understanding of these processes to give thoughts...

Thanks

2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure if any researcher has performed this test using muscle tissue. Ron Davis Mitochondrial Function Test using SeaHorse instrument is part of his menu. It's a technology that allows researchers to determine energy consumption of cells. The amount of O2 present indicates how much energy is being produced through glycolysis and by the mito.

You can read about it here.

Invisible Woman and Rossy191276 like this.
  3. Rossy191276

Rossy191276 Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Mij

I assume then that Ron Davis did these tests as part of severely ill study...Do you know if he has talked about results of this test anywhere?

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Rossy191276 I don't but you could ask on PR, Janet Dafoe might have some information.

Amw66 likes this.