1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Resources re: the importance of rest in the early stages of post viral fatigue

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Sarah94, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hiya

I’m asking on behalf of a friend who has asked me for resources. He’s worried about *his* friend, who’s been fatigued post-covid for 2 and a half weeks. He is very worried that she is taking things too fast and not letting herself rest.

I’m trying to find some information explaining that taking things slowly and resting as much as needed is likely to reduce the risk of the post-viral fatigue becoming a permanent problem.

Thanks.

alktipping, Barry, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure whether many doctors or researchers have been willing to say this, have they? I can't remember seeing it anywhere (but then I have got a memory like a sieve).

It's long been thought to be true, of course, especially among patients who experienced a long-term worsening after receiving GET-type interventions early on in their illness, or who tried to keep up with their work / caring responsibilities.

It's common sense to allow enough time for convalescence, of course, but beyond that it might get a bit fuzzy.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a longstanding proposition that poorly managed PVS/PVF moves from an acute to chronic state and therefore produces what we call ME/CFS. I don't think there's any clear data for this.

There is a lot of anecdote about managed activity/rest being important in reducing the recovery time post infection, but while it's a well reasoned approach there's a lack of any meaningful data on what that means for an individual dealing with a specific infection.

Edit to remove quote form deleted post.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wits_End, alktipping, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I deleted my post b/c I didn't understand what Sarah was asking concerning reducing the 'risk of the post-viral fatigue becoming a permanent problem' and whether she was referring to M.E.

alktipping, Barry, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.