1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Resources for help getting food during quarantine and safe handling of food

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Yessica, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty, Yessica, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  2. Forestvon

Forestvon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i always put lettuce and celery in water on windowsill to keep them longer like vase of flowers. Onky trouble lettuce shoots if you keep it too long.

3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The Scottish Government has set up a helpline for vulnerable people, including those with M.E. Tel: 0800 111 4000. Callers will be automatically connected to their local authority who will support them to access the service they need, such as essential food and medication, links to local social work services for vulnerable children or adults, emotional support and contact with local volunteer groups."

6. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shame the UK gov can't be bothered.

7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have no idea if this belongs here, or in the kitchen thread, or the how pwME are handling covid-19 thread, or even in a green fingers thread.

For many years I have occasionally bought potted herbs for use in cooking, as garnishes, etc., but over the last few years I've got sick of the little flies that often come with them when bought from a supermarket, so I stopped.

I have tried a couple of times to buy cut herbs since lockdown, and mostly been successful, but I don't use fresh herbs a lot, so most packets sit in the fridge until I either get round to using a small amount in the dish they were bought for, or, more commonly they go off before I get round to cooking it. Almost all of a packet will be wasted before use.

This is a known problem and is why I used to buy potted versions, as these can take ages to 'go off' - I had basil that lasted 6 months (until the cat killed it), and it used to be common for coriander to last long enough so it was no longer coriander the herb, but coriander the scruffy flowery thing.

I decided to grow some basic herbs, not enough types, but the ones I typically use, so I bought a fairly expensive kit (£8.99).

So far these appear to be growing, although the parsley seems to be struggling a little bit.

In a week or so I should be able to use some of the coriander at least.

It's gone well enough that I have invested in a self watering window sill planter and a small bag of compost, and I'm going to try growing 'mixed salad' - as this is another thing that I struggle to either get in good condition, or use a significant amount of before it goes off (especially seeing as this is often before delivery). I only tend to use these sort of leaves in the occasional sandwich, or as a burger green layer (this seems ot make a massive difference to the taste of a burger).

So far I have the planter, and the seeds just turned up - a pathetically small bag (250 seeds - it is only a trial).

I have a feeling that, depending on usage, I may need another planter in order to keep up a useage/seeding system, if I want to always have leaves - but I'll see how it goes with one first.

But green things, hopefully in a couple of weeks I may not have to rely on supermarkets for green things, with associated risks, which may or may not exist.

I'm also looking at microgreens, but the kit, and seeds, seem to be really quite expensive, for garnish, so I'm waiting to see if I succeed with more 'traditional' salad.

ETA - I have one bedroom window sill, that's it - the living room window is one of those big silly things with the bottom half frosted - no sill.

So my available space, and options, are 'limited'.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  8. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm doing something similar to Wonko.

My flat is a conversion(the upper 2 floors) of a terraced house, with a external half flight of stairs to the landing where my front door is.
    The landing is big enough to sit out on so functions as a sort of balcony.

So I'm trying to grow some vegetables from seed there but need to leave enough space for the postman and also to hang my washing out.

I've got 2 planters outside and some beetroot and rocket seedlings have just come through.

Indoors, I have 6 sweet pepper seedlings, 4 dwarf green beans and mixed salad leaves in various containers.

I'm glad it is a bit colder and rainy as currently I'm in fairly horrible PEM partly from carting various pots up and down one and a half flights of internal stairs from the brightest bedroom to my 'balcony' to harden plants off for planting outside.

lunarainbows, mango, Trish and 2 others like this.
  9. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Parsley is slow to germinate. Apparently it has to go down to the devil seven times before it can do so! ;)

250 seeds for your mixed salad will probably last you the whole summer. Each seed will grow into a whole lettuce, or I suppose you could cut and come again. Even with that I imagine you will have plenty. You should sow the seed thinly.

10. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm a big fan of alfalfa sprouts :) So easy and delicious :)

11. Ebb Tide

Picture of salad leaves from last week- they've grown more since then

DSCF1980b.jpg

MEMarge, mango, lunarainbows and 4 others like this.
  12. Ebb Tide

And dwarf beans

DSCF1979a.jpg

13. Wits_End

I was involved in a Zoom discussion the other day where someone was saying they hadn't had fresh salad for months because they were worried about the possibility of contamination, when it suddenly struck me:

a) as I understand it, this virus isn't exactly inherently mobile. So if you take a few outer leaves off e.g. an iceberg lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower etc. aren't the chances of it being on the inner part of the vegetable pretty close to zero, even if you don't stick the veg in soapy water?

b) again, as I understand it, the virus only enters via the eyes and the airways. I suppose there might be some risk of virus particles on food getting into the respiratory system, but how high it is I wouldn't like to guess. But presumably once it gets into the alimentary/digestive system there's no risk from it, and won't the stomach acid break it down anyway?

I'd be very interested to hear from those far more knowledgeable than me on the subject!

Subtropical Island and Sean like this.
  14. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I asked this previously somewhere on S4 a while back & was told that the mouth has mucous membranes so food is a possible source of contamination.

As I understand it the inner leaves of lettuce would be fine as you say... assuming you can remove the outer leaves without touching the inner ones with the hands you just touched the outer leaves with - until you washed your hands. I am very clumsy & would struggle to do that so am growing my own leaves.

15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

16. Wits_End

Thanks for posting it again, Mithriel. It is indeed very useful.

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Mithriel like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

England based folks who are able to book deliveries ahead might want to make sure you get your slots as part of the rumblings against face masks on social media includes healthies saying they won’t be going into shops if they have to wear a mask and will get delivery instead. I doubt it’s going to be a big issue but it might have some effect.

18. Wonko

That attitude may change.

After my successful test trip to the post office last week I went again today.

I probably saw about 200 people on the bus trip and the short distance between the bus station and the post office.

Only one person was wearing a mask.

Me.

Several others had masks, but they were pulled down to their neck. The bus driver included.

No staff n the post office or associated shop even had masks, not even the 'greeter'.

Staff in the bus station either didn't have them or had them pulled down to their necks.

No one on 2 of the main shopping streets that I looked down as the bus went past had masks.

This is in contrast to last Thursday where about a third of people around the bus station had them.

My town is fairly well up in the number of new cases, or was last week.

So, I'd assume that there may well be a lot more, with little evidence of social distancing, known cases going around, and virtually no one wearing masks.

Hopefully people may take the hint before they...y'know...end up in hospital.

Invisible Woman, mango, Sean and 7 others like this.
  19. Wonko

I had occasion to look at Sainsburys online offerings last night.

Things have not improved, in fact the range of items I could buy have shrunk, drastically e.g. what was 3 pages of tinned meats is now 7 items.

What's left seems to have gone up in price by considerably more than nominal inflation ( £45-50 (March prices) basket of goods, part of my old basic shop, that I was allowed to select, is now £64)

Virtually none of the products I used to buy from Sainsbury's are still available, at least online.

I haven't been in a supermarket since early March (at the latest, probably earlier) so I have no idea if they have simply cut what they offer online or if this is a reflection of the shelves.

But, as I mainly shop online, even in 'normal' times it makes no odds.

I used to buy specific things from them, they are no longer prepared to sell me these things.

Looks like my custom is up for grabs.

Invisible Woman, mango, shak8 and 5 others like this.
  20. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm on my 3rd replanting of basil plants. I have two pots that look healthy.
    I may have given them too much California direct sunlight or sprayed them too frequently with my homemade insecticide soap, but they were being eaten or destroyed (probably by me) by something.

I think some salad greens might be more promising. I can keep them in the tiny bit of shade on the balcony, which in Brit is the terrace.

I ordered from the US Instacart app and one never knows how much of a loose item (produce or meat) you'll end of paying for. I got credited for their mistake. I thought I was buying a half a pound of flank steak, but the instacart shopper doesn't stand at the meat counter for half a pound. So they charged me for a pre-wrapped packet of two pounds and that was a lot of money.

I gave them a piece of advice or two after they credited my account. That felt good.

Invisible Woman, Wonko and Trish like this.