1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Researchers Question “Gold Standard” Status of CBT

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Allele, May 20, 2018.

1. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, according to a 2002 survey, the average length of psychoanalysis in the US was then 5.7 years (longer for certain conditions). Still, in 2010, the New York Times published a story about a woman who had been in analysis for 40 years (not all that time with one doctor).

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I suspect a lot of people who were 'in analysis' for many years had nothing wrong with them other than life events that we all have and dissatisfaction with their lives and relationships. They were simply rich enough to pay someone to spend an hour a week or more listening to them talking about themselves. Many people have no one in their lives who really listens to them.
    I know it's only fiction, but I have just finished watching all the series of Suits, a TV series set in a high powered New York corporate law firm. Two of the senior lawyers there were shown having their regular sessions with their psychiatrist which revolved entirely around their incompetence at sorting out the relationships in their lives with families, partners and colleagues. Neither was portrayed as mentally ill - just self centred and socially incompetent.

Inara, Skycloud, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

interesting, but not impactful - IAPT will roll out all the same....

4. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I agree but once people choose an irrational belief they will do almost anything to protect their "correct" position :emoji_face_palm:

Invisible Woman and Sean like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”
    Upton Sinclair.

Salary, or ego, status, power, freedom from accountability, etc.

Inara and Invisible Woman like this.
  6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, i used this quote just a few days ago in another thread :emoji_nerd:

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Sean likes this.
  7. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wasn't being very precise about the historical narrative I had in my head, probably because it's too speculative to get much use out of. Kind of blithering, I must admit. I guess I think we've been marinating in the CBT/mindfulness way of thinking for a while and I think I'd pick the 60's as the breakthrough. Suffice it to say that 100 years ago peoples' metacognitions might have been profoundly different?
    Anyway, the point is I think most people alive today have grown up in a way that makes CBT pointless because they can already do it if needed. Physicians seem to prejudge that patients (which everybody is or will be at some point) have no insight into their own phenomenological experience. I'm sure their prejudice should be the polar opposite.
    (I'm very fond of Pink Floyd, btw. Although I wouldn't put forth Roger Waters as a particularly well-adjusted type :))
    Great point! Kind of sinks my thesis a bit though :cry:. There are trade-offs, contradictions. I think media and social media direct people to compare their self/life against other people's fairy tales, and it's impossible to stack up. These can certainly overpower people's ability to deal with life in a healthy way. Positive psychology, part of this milieu, makes people miserable via similar tyranny. I deleted facebook in 2010 and have never had any other social media, so I guess I'm not in that mental/social space that so many are.

Arnie Pye and Invisible Woman like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You may well be right. I would suggest it's also possible that as both women and people in lower stations in life knew their place, if they knew what was good for 'em, there may be assumptions made about their cognitions.

I have been privileged enough to have been friends or have had some contact with people who are no longer, or only just, still with us. Despite the great age difference, it remarkable to me just how much we have in common. Like talking to friend of a similar age, but just with more wrinkles.

This is very, very true in my opinion. These days, kids have access to so much, they are so privileged compared to my childhood (though I grew up in a very poor area). It must be very hard to be young, insecure and uncertain, while airbrushed celebrity snippets are shown as though they are the norm.

Arnie Pye likes this.
  9. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)