1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Research Associate (FITNET-NHS Trial)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by John Mac, Mar 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://uk.linkedin.com/jobs/view/r...-nhs-trial-at-university-of-bristol-625224811

2. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I look forward to a day when a high profile clinical trial with substantial funding is biomedical.

When I read of trials such as FITNET and SMILE (can you actually believe that was taken seriously) and (the famous) PACE trial I have a feeling that I’m in a very bad dream, or in a parallel universe of bizarre concepts.

I don’t understand how the SMILE trial got up and running....it honestly is unbelievable.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Sigh! We have such a long way to go in getting this sort of junk junked.

It occurs to me that our focus on funding for ME trials has been on trying to get the MRC to see the importance of funding biomedical research and stopping BPS research.

And all the time the NIHR is spending millions on Crawley's and others' junk trials. Is there any way the NIHR can be alerted to the awful way they are wasting their money?
    @Jonathan Edwards, do you know how this works?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s an idea. Surely by now funding bodies must realise it’d make more sense to fund biomedical (substantially) research. Why keep throwing money away with BPS research.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't worry Trish, we are on to the case. We might use that double Limerick even.

NIHR is entirely populated by politicos who buy in to hypocrisy so you do not 'alert them' to anything. It would be a bit like alerting Mr Trump to Mr Putin's intentions.

The corner has been turned. It will take a while to flush through but there is no place for BPS to hide now.

6. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Glad to hear.

Flush through....what an appropriate phrase!

7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Keep flushing and BPS will go down the pipe. Love that thought.

8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I looked up what the requirements were for passing the pilot stage, but they weren't much. Sorry, I should have copy/pasted the details. I think it was a certain level of recruitment and that at least 80% completed their course.

9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any way to ensure that potential participants and their families have objective information on the potential harmful side effects of this treatment as Bristol seem to intend to continue with this study?

10. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could we crowdfund a mail drop in Bristol to put flyers through the door about the dangers of GET? It'd be the perfect present on 12 May.

11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure if this is for the same job or yet another one for FITNET-NHS (or maybe the first one is leaving? as this one starts in December 2018):
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com/unijobs/listing/112535/research-associate-fitnet-nhs-trial/

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)