1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Remission when ill with other infections?

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Londinium, Nov 3, 2018.

1. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

+1

So far only seems to work with colds, I have the flu or something now (hard to sort out what’s new and what’s the ME/PEM) and did not feel better before and definitely not during.

Ravn, Manganus, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My 'yes' was to the first question. Excuse brevity - I hadn't yet read the other responses.

Ravn and andypants like this.
  3. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get a brake from ME initially if I catch a virus, but then I get significantly worse for a long time. I suffer the flu much longer than a healthy person. And afterwards ME gets worse and stays that way for a long time.

ladycatlover, Chezboo, Inara and 3 others like this.
  4. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t feel any better if I have an infection. I feel worse. Antibiotics only treat the bacterial infection, they don’t impact on my ME symptoms...
    The only time I was improved temporarily was when I was hyperthyroid - and not too hyperthyroid.... going hypo then crashed me big time.
    This year I had a stinker of an upper respiratory tract infection. Took me about 5 weeks to get over it. Horrible.

5. Starlight

Starlight Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I feel normal for a day, much more like my old self. It feels great and when it happened the first time I thought I was getting a reprieve. It only happens if I am getting the flu,and then I am back to hell again. I've had sore throats kidney infection and other things but they come without the reprieve. I'm wondering about getting flu Jab this year. I'm afraid to get it and afraid of not getting it because I have asthma. I hear there is a turbo Jab this year for the over 65s!!!. That sounds exciting. Sorry for going off track.

ladycatlover, MeSci and Ravn like this.
  6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sadly the 'viral reprieve' experience is not universal. I have only caught a single virus since falling ill, not sure if it was a bad cold or a mild flu. Anyway, it didn't make me feel any better and, worse, it tripped me from very mild to moderate-severe. Now avoiding sniffling and coughing people like the plague. Especially since a friend of mine went from mild-moderate to very severe after a bad flu.

7. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks all. Lots of helpful replies and, as suspected, heterogeneity in experience (like absolutely everything else with ME/CFS...)

From what I know of the 'fever effect', it's relatively controversial: as it is based on the behavioural reports of parents with children with severe autism, it could just be an artefact of the child being tired from the illness.

I've heard this from other people before as well. What would be trickier to tease out is whether ME/CFS sufferers are less likely to catch colds given exposure to them (e.g. due to immune system activation) or because they get less exposure because they are out of the house less/not at all and don't have as much interpersonal contact.

ladycatlover, Hutan, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am sure it is controversial. What it comes down to is whether one believes the witnesses and, if one does not, what are the reasons for the disbelief.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The latter is definitely the case for me when I was in the office I used to pick up every bug going for years (undiagnosed gradual onset ME) now I’m no longer working I’m out less but I still pick up bugs occasionally - eg in the waiting room at the Drs.

10. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Worth noting is also that Ron Davis has observed the "fever effect" on ME/CFS cells in the lab, or more specifically, he thinks it's not the fever itself but the infection that makes ME/CFS cells behave closer to normal (reference to video).

I have experienced this remission as well, the two times I got sick with a cold or bug in the last five years, both times all my symptoms improved.

11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Is it dependent on how severe your ME is maybe so if your ME is milder a bad viral infection might make you feel more ill than your ‘normal’ ME symptoms whereas if your ME is severe having a bad virus actually makes you feel less ill than your normal level of symptoms.

ladycatlover and andypants like this.
  12. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could be. I’ve recently had the flu and felt awful, but not awful in the same way as I do every other day from ME. Now it has passed, and I’m back to my normal symptom load. It’s the same level of awful, but slightly different presentation.

ladycatlover, MeSci and Trish like this.
  13. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There is also an age based effect, depending on what someone was exposed to prior to ME - I became ill when young, initially I didn't get out much but when I started to go out, I caught whatever was going around. Older people may already have been exposed to most common pathogens and therefore get ill less frequently due to acquired immunity.

ladycatlover, Sean, Skycloud and 2 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Me too. I also have a history of autoimmune illness going back to young childhood. However, when I catch a cold or flu I get very mild symptoms of it for a day or so, no relief from ME symptoms and then I crash really badly, while all the cold and flu symptoms completely disappear.

Sometimes the initial cold/flu symptoms are mild enough that I dismiss them, or put them down to allergies, so the crash comes as an unpleasant surprise. Then I think back, confer with my husband, and realize he brought some bug home with him. Thanks love!

Sadly, for me, no. I have severe ME (started out moderate) and as far as I can see, no matter how bad you think it is, it can always get worse. :(

Manganus, ladycatlover, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  15. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This sounds like me, I think, and I rarely catch anything, at least until this year.

16. Sidney

Sidney Established Member

I have wondered about this for years - after having several viruses every year in childhood and adulthood, when I finally came down with ME, when older, 5-6 years ago, I never never got a sniffle. And I was often exposed, via friends.

BUT this year I moved to the UK, and moved in with a toddler grandchild, and had some heavy surgery; and now have just had a massive cold/cough of the kind I used to have, every year since childhood. But until now, never since ME.

Probably unrelated facts!

andypants, MeSci, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  17. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are a lot of bugs around in hospitals. I try to avoid them, but you clearly couldn't. Hope you're recovering.

18. Judee

Judee Established Member

That's a very good thought. I always thought it was just that a cold or flu raised the temperature allowing the immune system to work on the hidden (retro) bugs for once.

I think a lot of us are low-temp, though not everyone. So my own personal theory for a while has been that we never get enough of a fever to really kill everything off but your idea seems plausible to me too.

I think this type of remission has happened for others more than me though sometimes looking back I remember times when I was coming out of a cold and feeling a little bit better for a short while.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    andypants and ladycatlover like this.