1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Reduced Metabolism in Nematodes linked to the Immune System

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by kmclellan, Mar 24, 2019.

1. kmclellan

kmclellan Established Member

Perhaps not that interesting of a read but it is a very interesting discovery for people with ME. You may recall the metabolomics study of 2017 that found that our profile was the same as dauer - a reduced metabolic (hibernation like) state in nematode worms. Well this research has found that the immune system in these same worms can reduce their metabolism.

The worms are used as an easy to study model system because the genes present in the worms usually (always?) have a very similar mammalian analogue that form the foundations of our systems.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-03-evidence-links-lifespan-extension-metabolic.html

merylg, Robert 1973, JaneL and 8 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @kmclellan, it was an interesting read.

So, I think I understood that if the activity of a FOXO-like gene is reduced, that tells the nematodes that they are in a fasting state/nutrients are scarce. So, the worms conserve energy. And that conservation of energy lowers the innate immune response. And that lowers inflammation.

@wastwater, I think you are interested in FOXO.

I've long believed that some cases of diagnosed anorexia nervosa have a primary biochemical cause rather than a psychological one. The idea that lower IGF signalling results in a lower appetite and lower food seeking behaviour in nematodes seems to suggest that is possible.

wastwater, JaneL, Snowdrop and 6 others like this.
  3. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the anorexia front I wondered if fasting helps something on a biological level

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    andypants and roller* like this.