1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Reduced Heart Rate Variability in Patients with Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms A Meta-Analysis of HF-HRV and RMSSD, 2020, Vreijling et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/psychosoma..._Rate_Variability_in_Patients_with.98490.aspx
    Sci hub unable to access at time of posting.

Michelle, John Mac, Snowdrop and 10 others like this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These sort of studies worry me. They find something that is also found in psychological distress and then assume it must be caused by psychological distress when there is no evidence of causality.

Since the beginning ME has been seen as a disease which has dysautonomia as part of it though the term is much more recent. In ME the nervous system does not work properly because of damage to the brain not the other way round.

It does not matter if anxiety and stress also lead to hear rate problems, we have them because the signal to the heart is not normal because of the brain disease and because our hearts can be damaged because of the disease as well.

If we are stressed and anxious it will only add to the problem but they are not the cause the dysfunction caused by the disease ME is the cause.

This is not a problem in other heart diseases because the psychologists are not allowed near them and they are understood to have a physical cause for the underlying damage.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Congratulations on "discovering" dysautonomia after having incompetently dismissed it as anxiety for decades. You guys are so amazing if you keep working at this you may even catch up to the 1960's one day. Well, probably not, gotta make it to the 20th century first.

Mithriel, MEMarge, cfsandmore and 6 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You, like the authors are also forming a non sequitur conclusion.

Heart rate variability is a non-specific measurement and there is no reason to conclude that these differences suggest abnormal physiology (or psychology for that matter).

The strongest predictor of reduced heart rate variability is lower cardiovascular fitness. Hence the entirety of the aforementioned studies results could be due to poor case-control matching.

andypants, Michelle, Mithriel and 6 others like this.