Trial Report Reduced Cortical Thickness Correlates of Cognitive Dysfunction in Post-COVID-19 Condition, 2024, Dacosta-Aguayo

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Dolphin, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ajnr.org/content/early/2024/04/04/ajnr.A8167.abstract

Reduced Cortical Thickness Correlates of Cognitive Dysfunction in Post-COVID-19 Condition: Insights from a Long-Term Follow-up

Rosalia Dacosta-Aguayo, Josep Puig, Noemi Lamonja-Vicente, Meritxell Carmona-Cervelló, Brenda Biaani León-Gómez, Gemma Monté-Rubio, Victor M. López-Linfante, Valeria Zamora-Putin, Pilar Montero-Alia, Carla Chacon, Jofre Bielsa, Eduard Moreno-Gabriel, Rosa Garcia-Sierra, Alba Pachón, Anna Costa, Maria Mataró, Julia G. Prado, Eva Martinez-Cáceres, Lourdes Mateu, Marta Massanella, Concepción Violán, Pere Torán-Monserrat and for the Aliança ProHEpiC-19 Cognitiu (The APC Collaborative Group)

American Journal of Neuroradiology April 2024, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A8167

Abstract
    BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: There is a paucity of data on long-term neuroimaging findings from individuals who have developed the post-coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) condition. Only 2 studies have investigated the correlations between cognitive assessment results and structural MR imaging in this population. This study aimed to elucidate the long-term cognitive outcomes of participants with the post-COVID-19 condition and to correlate these cognitive findings with structural MR imaging data in the post-COVID-19 condition.

MATERIALS AND METHODS: A cohort of 53 participants with the post-COVID-19 condition underwent 3T brain MR imaging with T1 and FLAIR sequences obtained a median of 1.8 years after Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. A comprehensive neuropsychological battery was used to assess several cognitive domains in the same individuals. Correlations between cognitive domains and whole-brain voxel-based morphometry were performed. Different ROIs from FreeSurfer were used to perform the same correlations with other neuroimaging features.

RESULTS: According to the Frascati criteria, more than one-half of the participants had deficits in the attentional (55%, n = 29) and executive (59%, n = 31) domains, while 40% (n = 21) had impairment in the memory domain. Only 1 participant (1.89%) showed problems in the visuospatial and visuoconstructive domains. We observed that reduced cortical thickness in the left parahippocampal region (t(48) = 2.28, P = .03) and the right caudal-middle-frontal region (t(48) = 2.20, P = .03) was positively correlated with the memory domain.

CONCLUSIONS: Our findings suggest that cognitive impairment in individuals with the post-COVID-19 condition is associated with long-term alterations in the structure of the brain. These macrostructural changes may provide insight into the nature of cognitive symptoms.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Kitty, EndME, Joan Crawford and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

There's a paywall.

I'm interested to know something about the characteristics of the participants - were they hospitalised during the acute Covid-19 infection? How old are they?

Interesting that they found cognitive impairment.

Frascati criteria? Seems to be an HIV thing:
    HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis
    I'm always a bit skeptical about these findings of structural brain differences. The p values for both regions of observed reduced cortical thickness aren't really that flash, especially considering they presumably looked at lots of regions that they haven't reported about. I'm also not sure what data they compared this data to, to come up with the difference.

Kitty, EndME and Sean like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I understood that wrong, but I think it's worse. They don't know if the cortical thickness in the two regions noted are actually any less thick than those of people who don't have post-Covid condition. What they are saying is that there is a significant correlation between thickness of each region and memory performance.

That is rather underwhelming, first because the p-values aren't great, but also because they not only had a range of brain regions to check, but also had three cognitive domains - attentional, executive and memory domains. I'd bet that if they looked at the performance of 48 healthy people in each of those three domains and measured the cortical thickness in a whole lot of brain regions, they would probably find one statistically significant relationship between a domain and a cortical thickness.

Michelle, alktipping, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(59) is Brain structural alterations are distributed following functional, anatomic and genetic connectivity (2018, Brain, open-access).

That seemed like an odd sentence and initially I wondered if they meant "we are confident that there must be functional alterations in the brain, because these usually occur before a structural region is [visibly] affected and account for [those functional] changes". But no. While this is not discussing FND as far as I can see (although who knows how FND mechanisms will ultimately turn out), the idea is that structural changes occur along/within functionally connected brain regions.

Kitty, Hutan and Sean like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And we know that is true of any population!!
    It would be weird if they hadn't found that.