1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Red ginseng extract improves skeletal muscle energy metabolism and mitochondrial function in chronic fatigue mice 2022 Zhang et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Background: Skeletal muscles are organs with high energy requirements, especially during vigorous exercise. Adequate mitochondrial function is essential to meet the high energy needs of skeletal muscle cells. Recent studies have reported that red ginseng can significantly improve chronic fatigue; however, the specific mechanism of action is still not clear.

Methods: A chronic fatigue syndrome mouse model was developed using C57BL/6J mice through long-term compound stimulation of stress factors. Following this, the animals were orally administered 200, 400, or 600 mg/kg red ginseng extracts for 28 days. Skeletal muscle lactate acid, serum lactate dehydrogenase, urea concentrations, ATP level, mitochondrial membrane potential, activities of Na+-K+-ATPase and cytochrome c oxidase were determined using assay kits or an automatic biochemical analyser detection system. Skeletal muscle mitochondria morphology was observed using electron microscopy and the expression of p-AMPK, PGC-1α, ACO2 and complex I in skeletal muscle protein was determined by western blotting.

Results: Oral administration of 400 or 600 mg/kg red ginseng extract in mice with chronic fatigue reduced lactic acid, lactate dehydrogenase and urea, rescued the density and morphology of skeletal muscle mitochondria, increased the activities of Na+-K+-ATPase and cytochrome c oxidase, and activated the AMPK/PGC-1α cascade pathway, resulting in improved skeletal muscle mitochondrial function by restoring ATP level, mitochondrial membrane potential, complex I and mitochondrial biogenesis.

Conclusion: The anti-fatigue effects of red ginseng are partly related to its potent mitochondrial improving activity, including decreasing mitochondrial swelling and mitochondrial membrane permeability, increasing mitochondrial biogenesis, thus ameliorating mitochondrial dysfunction.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2022.1077249/full

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and DokaGirl like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Of course, this uses a mouse model of tiredness, not ME.

3. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it also assumes stress is the cause of cfs.

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gotta get me some of that red ginseng.

(Actually, I've tried ginseng. It didn't help )

ETA: fixed typo

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cant stand this cruelty. It makes me want to scream, these researchers cant seem to grasp that ME/CFS is not tiredness, you cant induce it in healthy mammals by exercising them, or stressing them - even to utter exhaustion.

THATS NOT WHAT ME/CFS IS!

what a waste of time, money & suffering.

geminiqry, oldtimer, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  6. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How do they know that those mice have chronic fatigue? Maybe they just bred a bunch of lazy mice.

7. Madbeggar

Madbeggar Established Member (Voting Rights)

LOL

Peter Trewhitt likes this.