1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recovery of Repressed Memories in Fibromyalgia Patients Treated With Hyperbaric Oxygen, 2018, Lev-Wiesel et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jun 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00848/full

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Crawley will be loving this one :sick:

3. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very strange. I wonder if there are instances of this occurring in people treated with hyperbaric oxygen for any condition. I couldn't find any other reports. The finding seems more likely to be relevant to the therapy rather than fibromyalgia - if it amounts to anything at all - since fibromyalgia is not much (if at all) more associated with sexual abuse than many other diseases (right?).

Good thing nobody would dare use this as a reason to suggest that repression of emotional trauma should be suspected as the cause of illness in all patients with unexplained diseases, regardless of what the patient says.

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I may have missed it but do we not need to know the total number treated, the effects of treatment on those for whom there are no claims of "repressed memory", and no doubt many other things.

5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The thing I don’t get about this supposed repressed memory is the contradictions that abound

On one hand having a repressed memory of a traumatic event is worse than actually recalling the said memory and getting it out in the open can lead to “recovery”

On the other hand dwelling on things (like false illness beliefs) is also bad and repressing these thoughts leads to “recovery”

At first I thought these were different schools of psychiatry but it seems they can use either depending upon the philosophical argument they are trying to prove?

So when neither of these work is that when they give you a lobotomy?

6. James Morris-Lent

They say this happened to 9 of about 200 treated in their clinic from 2013-2016. The article doesn't actually discuss the efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen treatment for fibromyalgia other than to say that the first mentioned patient reported complete recovery.

7. FreeSarah

FreeSarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, we're lucky everyone in the field has too much integrity for that.

This is kind of intriguing, though, isn't it. As others have said, it would be interesting to know if this happens regardless of why the person is in the HBOT. It doesn't seem too farfetched that being locked in a steel box while absorbing highly elevated levels of oxygen might alter consciousness in some way. Ayahuasca's probably cheaper, though.

8. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another way of presenting the findings might have been to say that 95.5% of those undergoing treatment gave no indication of having been sexually abused as a child, which, according to some statistics, is probably well below the norm. Though one should not necessarily believe those statistics.

9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It might be interesting to try HBO therapy with people with some completely different condition, say MS, PTSD or arthritis, and some healthy controls and see if it leads to recall of repressed memories for some of them too.

I find the other aspects of the study more interesting - the stuff about HBO leading to increased blood circulation and oxygenation of parts of the brain that had, on fMRI showed up as hypometabolic. And the stuff about those areas having switched from aerobic to anaerobic energy, and mention of hibernation as a similar effect on the brain. And HBO acting as a metabolic switch reactivating those brain areas. It all sounds potentially useful for ME.

I know some people with ME have tried HBO treatment. Has anyone published a study?

10. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First author of the paper gives a TEDx Talk in 2015 titled "Reverse Aging," but he's basically talking about rejuvenating the body/brain with HBOT.

Says we only use 5% of our brain. Hmmm....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TEYTNI9UEo

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe the authors answer their own question:

'Two randomized controlled trials have shown that hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) can induce neuroplasticity...'

I see no reason why inducing neuroplasticity would bring back suppressed memories but it would of course make it much easier to generate false memories through new connections.

12. Trish

That concerned me too. And given that the HBO treatments were done in groups, it may be that one person recalling abuse might have planted the seed in the minds of others that prompted them to 'recall' memories too.

It did concern me that they were saying this small sample was sufficient to include a warning about the possibility of recall of past trauma to the patient consent form. Would that be a trigger for some people to focus on this and look for it, even to dwell on it while undergoing the treatment and imagine they are recalling something that isn't there.

Edit: On the other hand, is it irresponsible not to warn patients this might happen?

13. James Morris-Lent

They say two of the instances were corroborated (not sure if they mean two out of three or two out of nine).

The mechanism they propose has to do with restoring normal metabolism in areas of the brain that have been triggered into 'hibernation' by the trauma - presumably these areas are sequestering the memories in question. I don't know if this holds any water...

All that said, anything regarding purported recovery of such memories should be viewed in light of the satanic ritual abuse moral panic. This study is also still at the level of anecdote, so I second @Trish 's concerns.

14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

About as much as the arnica in a homeopathic wine gum I would say.

15. jeckylberry

jeckylberry Established Member (Voting Rights)

It says neither the researchers nor the subjects knew this event would occur so it is likely a small paper derived from a larger or different study. It is so weak, purely anecdotal and doesn't seem much use. Looking at some of the papers the primary author has participated in it appears that his team has put quite a few groups through that chamber to see if they can bring some relief to inflammation and to improve brain function and his TED talk suggests he's quite sold on the power of the treatment.

16. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From a Psychology Today article: "There is 'little or no empirical support' for the concept of repressed or dissociated memories of sexual abuse."

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  17. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They didn't say if they had asked the other participants about remembered sexual abuse, so we can't say what percent of them had experienced it.

RedFox likes this.
  18. Trish