Rapamycin Pilot Treatment Trial for ME/CFS

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Braganca, Nov 11, 2023.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps the larger number is to enable subgrouping once they have the biological data for all the patients before and after treatment. Given that it's not blinded, I'm not sure what the point is of having a separate comparison group for their biological testing.

2. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Are they charging participants?

Kitty, bobbler and Michelle like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess that it is highly likely that the treatment will occur in the context of paying for consultations at least.

The problem is that in this context you cannot get any meaningful evidence of 'response' unless it is large and consistent - in which case ten patients would be enough.

Kitty, bobbler, FMMM1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Arvijansen

Arvijansen Established Member

I agree with all the criticism.
    If I would be a RA patient I would be very disappointed with this trial.

Unfortunately in the world of ME CFS patients, this is as good as it gets.
    Maybe there is 1, maybe 2 double blind controlled trials taking place for ME CFS at this moment.

So, although heavily flawed, I’m already happy that this research potentially can bring us one tiny little step forward to understanding and treating MECFS.

Longing for the day that we will be able to enforce the same high standards existing for other immune illnesses with the same rigorisity to all future ME CFS research.

#RealPolitik

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
    MEMarge, Kitty, bobbler and 1 other person like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So has this 'trial' been through peer review of any sort I wonder?
    I think it is fine to ask for charitable donation but normally that is to provide funds for projects independently deemed of value, like DecodeME. Even with a peer review system things can be pretty random but without it there is no guard against patients pouring money into projects that will tell us nothing.

7. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My understanding from Cort Johnson’s two blogs on rapamycin on healthrising.org on July 6 and Nov 14, 2023 is that the Simmaron study is “designed to provide data needed to get funding for a more rigorous placebo-controlled trial.”

More information on rapamycin treatment can be found on Dr Alan Green’s site rapamycintherapy.com as well as in the published papers
    of Mikhail Blagosklonny and Matt Kaeberlein, whom Green calls the foremost experts on the theory and practice of rapamycin. Veronica Galvan’s group in San Antonio Texas is also doing excellent research on rapamycin, using mice. Green has the largest clinical practice and experience so far with rapamycin treatment.

The usual effective dosage for
    people is 6mg once a week, but Green says it can be as low as 2mg every 3 weeks. Side effects are minimal, unlike the serious side effects with the high doses needed to prevent the rejection of organ transplants. Green also explains why taking rapamycin every day will be ineffective, and research studies in which this is the protocol show no benefit.

MEMarge, RedFox, obeat and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, oldtimer, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  9. poetinsf

poetinsf Senior Member (Voting Rights)

100 is pretty big for an observational pilot study. They could've gone for an RCT with that kind of number. Rapamycin, btw, is also known for immunosuppression of microglia.

Ash, obeat, RedFox and 4 others like this.