1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Randomised placebo-controlled trial of dietary glutamine supplements for postinfectious irritable bowel syndrome, 2018, Verne et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Tom Kindlon, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The dosis of glutamine in the study was 5g three times a day.

4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was it any particular type of glutamine?

Thanks

(Don’t have access to article)

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So it looks like it's a treatment for the specific circumstances of diarrhoea following enteric infection, not a general treatment for IBS.

6. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As an aside I’m trying out the Low Fodmap diet. Digestive pain was getting so intense I was starting to skip meals/ need liquid food. During the elimination phase the intense, inflammation style pain went and I felt like I slept more deeply. I’m now doing the reintroduction phase. I’ll write about this in more depth sometime.

Amw66, Skycloud, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Skycloud, Hutan, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some years ago I took L-Glutamine powder to try and reduce inflammation and pain in my gut. I was taking a lower dose than suggested in this trial. I took it for months and it seemed to help a lot. Then I started getting horrendous pain and cramps - much worse than I had before starting the L-Glutamine. Stopping the powder returned things to "normal for me".

I think the L-Glutamine was very helpful in the early months and I would take it again. But I wouldn't take it continuously. I would build in regular breaks. But this is just hypothetical - I haven't started taking it again since it caused me so much pain.

9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've experimentally started taking just 5 mg l-glutamine every other day. On the days that I have taken it, I started feeling much more lively and clear-headed about 2-3 hours after taking it, and this lasted all evening (I took it late morning). On the day in-between, I felt muddle-headed and really weird, as has become common in the last few weeks.

If this continues, I will re-commence taking 5 mg every day, and see what happens.

I was taking it when I had my 'funny turn' in March 2016, after which I haven't really improved. Maybe this will make a difference...?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On looking back through my diaries (I'm not very good at this at present), I found that I have taken it once a day at times since I had my 'turn', but I'm sure that it is more complex than that how often and when it should be taken.

So as I'm rather less with-it today than on the days that I have taken it, I will start taking it once a day from tomorrow and just see what happens.

It has been so refreshing to have a clear head when I have taken it!