1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Raman spectroscopy - its utility for investigating ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by Hutan, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

A couple of labs at least (Mortem and Moreau) have done some work with Raman spectroscopy, trying to find differences between ME/CFS cells and cells from healthy controls.

As I understand it, it reports molecular signatures resulting from subjecting a sample to light, with the output being a series of peaks and troughs at different wavelengths. Molecules hit with the light produce particular wavelengths, and so the output can tell you about the molecules in the sample. Samples can be single cells.

It's a technology that seems to have a lot of promise, for cell sorting, for the identification of pathogens, including intracellular pathogens, and for making comparisons between healthy and dysfunctional cells.

This mini-review describes the technology and some of the things that can be done with it (it also has a nice overview of other cell-analysis techniques and their advantages and drawbacks).
    Raman Spectroscopy—A Novel Method for Identification and Characterization of Microbes on a Single-Cell Level in Clinical Settings, 2022

I've tagged threads on studies using the technology with 'Raman'.

I thought it would be useful to have a place to note information that can help us analyse studies using this technique, and to gather ideas for future studies.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    alktipping, Lisa108, Trish and 5 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm interested in the potential for this technology to identify pathogens cheaply and easily.
    For toxins and extracellular pathogens in low concentrations (like Lyme?), there is this technique:
    Issues with the technique include:
    * currently, a lack of "fingerprints" - standard spectral signatures for comparisons
    * difficulty comparing results from different instruments (which makes reliable controls run on the same machine under the same conditions very important)
    * confounding produced by the culture media, culturing conditions, sample preparation method (and probably sample storage method too e.g. freezing)

The cost is currently high, but will probably not remain so.

alktipping, Trish, EndME and 3 others like this.