1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Radio prog on body's response to low oxygen levels, or ‘hypoxia’.

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by MeSci, Feb 4, 2020.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've put this in the non-ME section as I don't expect it to refer to ME (haven't had time to listen yet).

2019 Nobel Prize winner for Physiology or Medicine, Sir Peter Ratcliffe

Sir Peter Ratcliffe, Director of Clinical Research at the Francis Crick Institute, as well as Director of Oxford University’s Target Discovery Institute – has dedicated his life to understanding the body’s molecular-level response to low oxygen levels, or ‘hypoxia’. He received the 2019 Nobel prize for Physiology or Medicine, along with two Americans, William Kaelin of Harvard and Gregg Semenza of Johns Hopkins, for successfully tackling one of physiology’s greatest puzzles - how our bodies sense and adapt so quickly to a lack of oxygen, at high altitude for example, or during sudden exercise.

He talks to Jim about how his early medical career led him into a deeply unfashionable area of medicine that would solve how and why our bodies are so clever at being able to fine tune themselves to keep functioning under a range of conditions. His early ground breaking discoveries may have been initially turned down by a major scientific journal, but he would go on to pave the way for promising new strategies to fight anaemia and many other challenging diseases, most notably cancer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dy4f#play

Sean, ukxmrv, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  2. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean, MEMarge and MeSci like this.
  3. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does the BBC produce transcripts for interviews like this?

5. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BBC website gave details of only a very few programmes which do transcripts. It suggests:

“Contact
    To contact a Radio 4 programme, to give feedback on a programme or to find out more about a programme please visit the relevant programme page and email them via their 'Contact Us' link.

Please visit the programme page before you write in as you may be able to contact the programme team directly or get the information you need on the programme webpage.”

The episode is here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dy4f

But I couldn’t see a ‘contact us’ area on the page. Sorry.

Snow Leopard and MEMarge like this.