1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Coronavirus & home sewn masks?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Keela Too, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2020
    MEMarge likes this.
  2. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve found a group locally that are sewing scrubs. Apparently these are in very short supply. So I am planning to switch from masks to scrubs once the current batch of masks is done. I have ordered up some appropriate fabric for scrubs.

And yes... all fabric is prewashed on a hot wash. Both to pre-shrink it, and so incoming fabric is free of viral particles before I handle it.

MSEsperanza, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  3. Keela Too

55 of my original mask design now dispatched - some to doctors & nurses, others to careworkers. All felt they wanted something/anything!! One working on front line said she wanted mask to protect OTHERS as she went shopping, in case she would spread the virus!

Thinking Of switching to this design now, if I’m asked for more masks. He makes it look so easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm2Xu75iFOc

MSEsperanza, Hutan, Roy S and 17 others like this.
  4. Roy S

5. Keela Too

A good video about mask wearing in general. Nicely presented.
    Sorry on FB again.

JaneL, Lucibee, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I know this is NOT why you are doing it @Keela Too but this would be a good press story

7. Keela Too

@NelliePledge There are others many times more productive than me. For example, my husband’s work colleague and his wife have now made and distributed 100s of masks in Northern Ireland. He cuts the pieces and she sews.

There are Facebook groups dedicated to pooling resources and supplying requests. It’s quite the movement here. But me? I’d prefer a low profile on this. ;) Others are getting some notice however. :)

There’s a FB group “NI SCRUBS GROUP” making up scrubs for those in the front line who have none! My masks were distributed through this group.

https://ulsterherald.com/2020/03/29...b0eOVv6cuSmT4IVZym55lgX9gYCpa-nCztGBQLE-YlEO8

ladycatlover, ukxmrv, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

MSEsperanza, JaneL, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  10. Keela Too

Article that seems relevant here.
    @Adrian linked it in another thread. Thanks.

It pretty much says yes cloth masks can help even if they aren’t perfect.

11. Roy S

12. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Roy S

MSEsperanza, Simbindi, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  14. Keela Too

Oh @Roy S - You HAVE made me smile this morning!! Actually, I’m still giggling as I write this.

It’s been a tough few days for me (various reasons) so I really needed that smile today. Thank you. Xx

15. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know how make an iodine infused “filter” layer? It was mentioned somewhere on the forum that the Chinese recommended (I think) it for killing more viral particles of you breathe through fabric with iodine.
    I do have iodine and wondered whether to

1: just put a line down the centre of a piece of fabric and put straight into a home made mask with a pouch, still damp, for the most evaporation and fumes.

2. dilute it a bit and soak the whole piece of cloth that I will insert and allow to dry. Would it be effective?

also is there any negatives to this? I saw, also on the forum I think, some mention of using a cotton bud to rub iodine around the inside of nostrils for protection so it can’t be too risky, at least short term? I am just thinking of making a mask for my partner for errands, as I really am not up to sewing.

ukxmrv and MEMarge like this.
  16. Roy S

@Keela Too I hope things are better for you now.

Yesterday this subject was all over the place. The government's committee will be (reportedly) discussing the subject today. Leading from behind as usual.

Eye protection may come up next, IMO.

17. Keela Too

Yes I’m good now - I think, it’s when you laugh just that bit TOO enthusiastically, that you realise you are using the laughter as a release. :p I’m back to my usual trundling along mode again. Xx

Also YES! Eye-protection is a biggie, and definitely next. Masks and wrap-around sunnies are going to become the new norm maybe? Going to be hard to recognise folk in public soon!

18. Keela Too

I’d be interested to know this too. I saw some-one somewhere shared a study about mice with iodine on their noses and consequent reduced viral infections. Very interesting. Perhaps it was you @ProudActivist but it would seem that iodine might be helpful. Big down side is that it stains skin a yucky brown colour.

@Jonathan Edwards would you know anything about this? I think iodine is less used medically these days?

MEMarge and ProudActivist like this.
  19. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was trying to think it through. I very much doubt iodine would do anything. In order to inactivate virus the virus would need to get stuck in the mesh where the iodine is. If virus gets stuck in the mesh then that is job done largely - so why add iodine?

MEMarge, JaneL, ladycatlover and 2 others like this.
  20. ProudActivist

ProudActivist Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it was freshly applied the fumes would be inhaled and kill the virus? It says in the article that it can kill the virus in 30 seconds in the air

This is the link posted higher up the thread, by someone else:
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/bc37/c48fb2babb83d333d9e4193bf7960040222d.pdf