1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question: Coronavirus & home sewn masks?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Keela Too, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My current plan is to make a dozen or so here, then to message friends working in the health service locally to see whether they have noticed somewhere that there might be a need for these masks.

However, I thought there was little point in making an offer to anyone until I see if:
    a) they actually stay on the way I’ve made them
    b) they can go through a hot wash without disintegrating
    c) I can get a bit more proficient at actually making them!

If all of that falls into place, and these are useful, then I might do something more.

ladycatlover, JaneL, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  2. Keela Too

Looking at the ones suggested for home sewing on that Deaconess site. I don’t think those would stay on as well as the pattern I found and linked upthread. I also suspect that shaped masks such as the one I made, would give a better fit than pleated ones. That along with them being more comfortable, should mean they are more useful in the long run.

ladycatlover, JaneL, JemPD and 6 others like this.
  3. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Established Member (Voting Rights)

I suggest making masks that can accept a sheet HEPA or MERV 16 furnace filter inside.

This can reach or exceed n95 masks. You can't make whole masks out of it because they may be made of hazardous (to breath) fibers if cut.

JaneL, Simbindi, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  4. Keela Too

@junkcrap50 What size are these filters? The pattern I used can be made to allow sliding a filter in.

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  5. junkcrap50

Perrier and Keela Too like this.
  6. junkcrap50

These filters would have to be cut down to size to fit any mask. Furnace filters come in a vast variety of sizes, but are on average are 12"x16." But have an accordion fold, so they are likely even larger when layed flat. So, many masks filters can be cut from 1 furnace filter. This is just a way to use resources & stockpiles that have not been tapped, are widely available, and could be found in some homes. (There's no run on furnace filters (yet)).

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

FMMM1 and Keela Too like this.
  8. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have lots of long silk and cotton scarves. Would it be ok to use these and wrap them around my nose and mouth area two or three times? It would be easier for myself and mum, and easier to just throw in the wash when we get home, that's if we need to go out.

Yessica, ladycatlover, JaneL and 4 others like this.
  9. Keela Too

I would think so. Masks are good if folk are working, as they should stay in place better than a scarf. Yet a scarf should stay for the length of time you might need to shop, I would think?

I think the link above somewhere said cotton mix or towelling was better than silk, but maybe a couple of layers. :)

10. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To try to give you all a laugh. I live in Belfast and I have a balaclava which was intended for use fishing (honest); keeping the biting bugs off and the like. I was thinking of wearing it to the shops; however, I'm not really sure I can wander nonchalantly into my local supermarket wearing one. Also, some of the "working class" areas I shop probably have genuine (former) balaclava wearers --- I don't really want to draw attention to myself or catch coronavirus---

What time are the shops least busy --- might be a better option!

11. AliceLily

Funny, I know what you mean. I bought some swimming goggles a few weeks ago but couldn't find a clear natural colour and ended up having to buy one with a tinted blue colour out of necessity. I've imagined myself getting on a bus with a hat, mask and goggles a few times and it has made me laugh thinking about the looks I would get from everyone on the bus.

It's good to be able to laugh when things are really bad because when you look back at those bad times you remember the funny bit and it softens memories of that time.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    ladycatlover, JaneL, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  12. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oops, no, definitely not! And anyway, how much protection would a knitted balaclava be? Not much, I'd guess, given the size of the stitches.

ladycatlover, JaneL, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  13. Roy S

Roy S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. FMMM1

This one is made of polyester/elastane with a Micro fleece lining --- possibly stop some of the droplets, but you won't find it approved for health workers!

Thanks to you guys I just checked the hoover filter and it sits under the balaclava so I can use it like a (filter) face mask. I can just roll most of the balaclava down so that it looks like a rather weird face mask

I'm still brain storming on using click and collect and getting someone to do the collect bit for me!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    ladycatlover, JaneL, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  15. FMMM1

Update, waited to dusk and headed into the supermarket. There was one kindred soul who was wearing a scarf to cover their mouth. I was wearing my balaclava, with built in vacuum cleaner filter, rolled down so that it just covered my nose/mouth! Couple of odd looks from a manager type (Lidl) who was coughing!

What is the advice about checkout staff wearing gloves/not wearing gloves?

16. AliceLily

@FMMM1 You might start others wearing a balaclava. I noticed years ago when I started taking a shopping trundler with me on the bus many others in my community who were around my age who were younger than the elderly also decided to use one.

I'm going to practise how to wear the scarves today because I have to go out tomorrow morning. To save my hands I will put on some disposable gloves and throw them in the bin when I get off the bus. I am much better at remembering not to touch my face now. I've had to clip my hair on both sides to stop strands from tickling.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  17. FMMM1

Sounds like wise precautions.

I disinfected the plastic milk container which I bought i.e. using dilute bleach, which I then rinsed off.

The number of deaths reported from Italy today is shocking.

18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Made me think of Patrick Kielty

MEMarge, JemPD and FMMM1 like this.
  19. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The new Miele vacuum bags have multiple layers, I would think that cutting up these bags would work well as homemade filters (but not a cheap option as the bags work out about £2 each). Nevertheless, a well fitting cotton mask (that can be washed at high temperature or soaked in bleach solution) with such a 'single use' filter, would be very useful for PWME when they really need protection if they have to go out in an exceptional circumstance.

https://www.espares.co.uk/search/ma254pt1566/vacuum-cleaners/bags/miele

JaneL, MEMarge, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  20. Keela Too

My concern about adding vacuum bags etc to home made fabric masks etc, is that the vacuum bags are less porous, and so the air is less likely to travel through the area of fabric where the vacuum bag impedes the air flow.

This effectively means the air must travel elsewhere. If there is less of the fabric available for the air to flow through (cos the vacuum bag impedes flow), so a greater air movement will be forced through the gaps between face and mask.

Thus although the vacuum bag cuts down viral particles that land on it, the actual airflow to the individual’s airways is less filtered than without the vacuum bag, because of the increased pressure on the face/mask gaps.

In the same way, one could say glass is 100% effective in blocking viral particles, but adding glass (or other impermeable plastic or whatever) to a mask, would not actually increase the mask’s effectiveness. It would just reduce the surface area of the mask through which air could flow.

It might be that an extra fabric layer right under the nose/mouth area would slow air flow in the biggest use area, and so divert air to other fabric areas. Which might be good.

But I worry that the thicker the mask, the greater the pressure on the gaps.