1. To read the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 9th Sept then click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Quantitative Electroencephalographic Assessment of ME/CFS. Support for a novel diagnostic protocol, 2019, Pelligrini. Student thesis.

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS News' started by Sarah94, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Andrew Pellegrini replicates Byron Hyde's findings (apparently)

"Apparently", because I haven't got the energy to read the article properly rather than just skimming.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019
  2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know QEEG testing has been around for a while. But I don't know how well accepted it is by doctors.

Is QEEG testing useful in a clinical setting for any other illness? I'm not talking about ME, but for any other illness -- brain injury, depression, whatever.

Or is QEEG still a mostly experimental test, used in research only?

I tried to use google scholar to get a sense of how QEEG testing has been used but I quickly got in over my head.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

QEEG findings have been reported on before, I regard it as an essential test that almost never gets done. The big reasons are its non-invasive, and can tell you a lot about cognitive function in one single test.

QEEG and similar methods are routinely used in stroke and brain damage patients.

Annamaria, Amw66, Sarah94 and 3 others like this.
  4. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There seem to be some psychiatrists who are promoting the use of QEEG as a way of accurately distinguishing one psychiatric condition from another.

This 2018 article, however, says that it's important for psychiatry to distinguish QEEG's promise from the "hype."

QEEG Recordings Not Recommended for Determining Depression-Treatment Response
    https://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.pn.2018.pp11a2

Personally, I would be concerned over the issue that patients, knowing that there is a computer involved ("ooh! ahh!"), will assume that all subjectivity has been removed from the diagnosis.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Beware bugs, ummm, sorry, special program features. The real issue is still interpretation. No psychiatric diagnosis is stable, as in proven to be a discreet clinical entity with reliable diagnosis, at least so far. What can be done with QEEG from my limited reading is determine likely cognitive issues. So when a patient complains of, for example, problems with math, then this test will tell the doctor the patient is probably not misinterpreting things. QEEG is so far not useful for treatment that I know of, but its valuable for helping doctors to understand.

Annamaria, Amw66 and Forbin like this.