1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Quality of evidence for therapist-delivered (non-drug) interventions for subjective symptoms in medically undisputed illnesses (draft thread)

Discussion in 'Research methodology news and research' started by MSEsperanza, Aug 8, 2021.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Edited to add: This is a draft thread that I currently use to get a clearer idea of what needs to be addressed in a comment I try to put together on the review of the IQWiG's report plan for their review on ME/ CFS. Title and content of the thread are likely to change.

Anyway, comments on any aspect related to the current title and content are welcome.

There is a thread that tries to collect adequately controlled clinical trials and reviews on therapist-delivered/ non-drug interventions for illnesses and symptoms that don't have biomarkers yet here.

Thought it could be also helpful to have a meta-thread collecting both well done and badly done clinical trials in this area.

Also thought it could be useful to start with a collection of non-drug trials investigating subjective symptoms in medically undisputed illnesses like MS, Rheumatoid Arthritis etc.

So this thread is for collecting clinical trials and reviews on therapist-delivered interventions for subjective symptoms in medically undisputed illnesses.

I'd suggest that discussions on existing threads should be kept there. Papers and reviews that don't warrant an own thread can be discussed here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Sean, Michelle, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  2. MSEsperanza

Which exercise and behavioural interventions show most promise for treating fatigue in multiple sclerosis? A network meta-analysis (2021) Harrison et al

https://www.s4me.info/threads/which...work-meta-analysis-2021-harrison-et-al.20394/

(Will add complete citation later)

3. MSEsperanza

Clinical trials and reviews used by the Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Healthcare (IQWiG) in Germany for their Health Information on fatigue in RA:

(Includes qualitative studies.)

Sources for the section "Living and dealing with fatigue" (in RA)

Cramp F, Hewlett S, Almeida C, Kirwan JR, Choy EH, Chalder T et al. Non-pharmacological interventions for fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; (8): CD008322.

Dures E, Kitchen K, Almeida C, Ambler N, Cliss A, Hammond A et al. "They didn't tell us, they made us work it out ourselves": patient perspectives of a cognitive-behavioral program for rheumatoid arthritis fatigue. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2012; 64(4): 494-501.

Hewlett S, Cockshott Z, Byron M, Kitchen K, Tipler S, Pope D et al. Patients' perceptions of fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis: overwhelming, uncontrollable, ignored. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 53(5): 697-702.

Nikolaus S, Bode C, Taal E, van de Laar MA. New insights into the experience of fatigue among patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a qualitative study. Ann Rheum Dis 2010; 69(5): 895-897.

Repping-Wuts H, Uitterhoeve R, van Riel P, van Achterberg T. Fatigue as experienced by patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA): a qualitative study. Int J Nurs Stud 2008; 45(7): 995-1002.

Google translate link to the Health Information "Living and dealing with fatigue" (in RA)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.gesundheitsinformation.de/leben-und-umgang-mit-erschoepfung-fatigue.html#Welche-Behandlungen-k%C3%B6nnen-bei-Fatigue-helfen

Edit: Removed sources on the benefit of exercise for the underlying illness, not fatigue. Will check further content and links later.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    Michelle and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. MSEsperanza

Michelle and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. MSEsperanza

I think I should add that this is a draft thread that I currently use to get a clearer idea of what needs to be addressed in a comment I try to put together on the review of the IQWiG's report plan for their review on ME/ CFS.

Title and content of the thread are likely to change.

Anyway, comments on any aspect related to the current title and content are always welcome.