1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-pharmacological interventions for fatigue in rheumatoid arthritis (Cochrane Database 2013)

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by MSEsperanza, Aug 8, 2021.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

As soon as I saw the heading I thought, that will be a Chalder or Moss-Morris paper. I was not wrong. Sigh...

Another Cochrane review of unblinded trials with subjective outcomes.

Hutan, Michelle, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think all the authors are Bristol or King's. Five of them are on a paper describing a trial of non-pharmacological intervention for fatigue in RA. The first is a physio, the second a professor of nursing at Bristol. I am a bit surprised at John Kirwan getting putting his name to the conclusions. He sued to be a sharp critic of bad methodology.

4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They may not get away with things in this patient population that they do with ME. If it doesn't work patients will just drop it as they have a well recognised disease and are not dependent on these therapists as a gateway to benefits and so on.

The attitude of many MS patients surprised me as we are not allowed it in ME. They have almost a sense of entitlement and believe they are due consideration because they are sick and disabled. They have rights as patients whereas we are continually trying to prove we are genuinely sick and fighting the authorities who deny us help.

I don't think our usual suspects will get away with the disdain they use on us.

5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Healthcare (IQWiG) in Germany seems to like this. They used this Cochrane review in their Health Information on RA:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/germa...eedback-on-report-plan-due-11-aug-2021.21266/

(The google translation this time isn't great --- click on "swell" [sources] to see the references.)

Not able to check now myself, but it would be interesting to see whether it's also used by NICE and other health care organizations' guidelines and health information.

I wonder how the IQWiG's review on the current knowledge about ME/CFS will deal with the lately published / submitted papers and other sources that offer different conclusions in their assessment of such kind of evidence...

If anyone fancies leaving a comment on the RA health information website -- this is possible online, in any language and by anyone on a form displayed at the end of the page:

"We are happy about every feedback. Your ratings and comments will be evaluated by us, but not published. Your details will be treated confidentially."

https://www.gesundheitsinformation....tientenschulungen-beim-umgang-mit-rheuma.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    alktipping likes this.