1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Qigong exercise for chronic fatigue syndrome, 2019, Chan et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Oct 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Not a recommendation.
    Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0074774219300674
    Not available through Scihub at time of posting.

Joh, WillowJ, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  2. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'Powerfully trigger the self-healing process' in people who are 'employed full-time' and who were not screened for PEM etc., huh?

I am fine with studying whatever you want in whomever you want, but what good is it to throw together cohorts with almost random common symptoms and then hijack a terminology that has a reasonably clear defintion (even for the broader psycho-CFS-definitions, 'sleep disturbance' would be such a broad term that I am not convinced it should ever catch less than 95% of any population at any given time). Reminds me of people in exercise science confusing intensity (straight %age of your maximum output) and intensiveness (basically, perceived workload).

Also, the studied population seems to be... representative of who would sign up for Qigong in general. So preselection for people who have no reason to not go through a mild exercise regimen is probably likely.

All in all - not too relevant for us as far as I can see.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    WillowJ, Lisa108, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps we know by now why these Hong Kong residents experience sleep dysfunction, anxiety, and depression. Political reasons?

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To paraphrase someone who is not a smart man, yet clearly smarter than these dolts: fool is as fool does.

MEMarge likes this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hong Kong has long had high-pressure work life (that could lead to those symptoms you mentioned), that is one of the reasons for Hong Kong's economic success compared to the rest of Asia.

But Qigong itself is somewhat political, at least in mainland China. I'm not going to say more, due to forum rules...

shak8 and MEMarge like this.
  6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't know that. Thanks for saying.

All we need to know about the trial is in these sentences.

Symptoms are entirely vague, respondants are working full time, and inclusion was done entirely by questionnaire, no differential diagnosis.

Additionally, the authors believe there's an "effective cure" with "symptomatic treatments," which means they have not carefully read the literature.

shak8 likes this.