1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychotherapeutic Interventions in Irritable Bowel Syndrome, 2020, Hetterich and Stengel

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 21, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2020.00286/full

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

New word to add to my vocabulary: meteorism. Seems to mean anything from normal flatulence (gas accumulation in the bowel) to life threatening bowel necrosis depending which definition you read.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I had to look that one and having looked at it it's frankly even more puzzling.
    This is completely self-contradictory. BPS assumes no pathophysiology, it's literally the whole point.
    THE treatment? There is no treatment. That's part of what makes it all so problematic.
    Important to you does not mean objectively important. Especially here. You are not a brain in a jar somewhere living a simulated universe that exists for your personal existence. This is borderline failing at object permanence.
    Of all the lowered standards I have seen, this is the lowest of them all. Lots of treatment options for all bunches of things exist. Treatment options exist for your thetans imbalance or your karma:eek:rgone ratio disruption.

I have the very lowest expectations for BPS research and still I am continuously amazed at how those expectations keep getting lower and lower, a kind of asymptote reaching the limit of negative infinity that still manages to eke out that smallest increment of more mediocrity without fail.