1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychosomatic jaw dysfunction

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by unicorn7, Feb 10, 2018.

1. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting to see that the same thing is happening in other diseases, sounds familiar...

Craniomandibulair dysfunction, this time:banghead:

http://news.doccheck.com/en/7547/cmd-whos-cracking-the-case/

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    EzzieD, Barry, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks for posting.

Its not surprising to read of yet another poor group of patients whose problems are being inappropriately psychologised. What IS surprising is that this one dentist - Peschke - is actually speaking out against it in no uncertain terms!

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Interesting- the MUS people including TMJ on their long list of conditions- they really are looking to take over the world

4. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder whether we should start profiling the people who create these "theories" and their supporters. I'll start with:
    • Deeply right wing political views
    • Extremely large ego with sociopathic tendencies
    • Prefers the arts to science, particularly the performing arts
    • lacks logical reasoning but also imagination
    • Prefers their own company unless said company involves a subservience to stroke aforementioned ego. Likes to "hold court"
    • Has obsessive compulsive tendencies/ likes putting things in order
    • Is motivated by being seen to be the best/driven
    • Tends to be male between years of 18 and 75
    • Often comes from a background of privilege where views of the world and their place in it can give a distorted view for the less imaginative
    • Tends to have uncontrolled hair distracting from mpb

Now once profiled using this 10 point criteria that I just made up, these people need to be labelled hysterical and ignored by the rest of society. I would say an 8/10 on the scale should be sufficient to identify the people for a meaningful outcome , although let's see how we get on, and if necessary I'm happy to reduce the score to 4/10 later to make the numbers work.

This psychological stuff is a piece of p*** !

5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

How delightfully ironic - profiling them as they do us!

Have to disagree on the right wing thing. I think most of the psychoBS is originating from the left. Those groups are more in bed with the touchy-feely stuff. And the whole looking after your "wellbeing" with psyc services, IAPT and all. I think that's why left-leaning UK papers like the Guardian have taken such a shine to it.

My leanings are to the left, so I ashamed to admit this.

Right wingers are interested in exposing loafers and fakers, but not in making up elaborate psychological theories to explain the others. Doesn't mean that might not see the money-saving value in it all, though.

Its interesting that in the Justina Pelletier case (remember her?), it was right leaning religious people who kicked up a rukus and helped get Justina out of that hospital. They are all for the rights of the parent to choose, and do not like state intervention in matters of parenting.

Actually, I think since I started reading all this stuff, I've gained an appreciation for some of the more right leaning ideas around individual rights and freedoms. Now I've seen what ill-informed intervention can do.

6. arewenearlythereyet

I think the individual rights often is distorted ...well it is in the uk anyway.

Its complicated with layers, but in the main the far right here are less about individual rights and more about preserving some warped sense of a long gone class system to ensure rights and privilege are kept for the right "sort of people". They then construct disproportionate rules to benefit the few whilst penalising the "wrong sort"

Hence the "bed blockers". "Benefit shirkers" etc. Rhetoric that comes from the right ....not to save money and for good management but rather to keep taxes being seen to be low. The "right sort of people would be people who help propagate this sort of message. It seems to work as a nice little old school tie network for some of the BPS proponents with Royal honours, financial gain and prestige being the reward.

It was this kind of talk I was thinking of ....it appeals to the real base selfish side of human beings and is pure manipulation.

EzzieD, Woolie, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  7. unicorn7

unicorn7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I thought that was pretty interesting too. You see in every field that the people who really know their stuff and are real experts (in ways to actually help people with the actual problem), they never go for the psychosomatic route.
    It really is more a thing of incompetence, not knowing enough as a doctor and not wanting to admit it.

EzzieD, Woolie, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  8. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty wide of the mark I suspect.

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is a delusional middle-aged female the exception that proves the rule?

10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

* There is usually a financial or other incentive (job involves insurance claims, would be out of job if society stopped believing in psychogenic explanations, overworked doctor can save time, etc).
    * They seem to have an inclination towards mystical explanations, and psychogenic explanations seem to be an outlet (maybe the only outlet in an otherwise sterile and rational medical environment).
    * They seem to adhere to the "reality is what you make of it" philosophy, which suggests they have never faced real obstacles in life (can we count that as privileged background?).

EzzieD, Woolie, Sean and 6 others like this.
  11. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Amw66, ladycatlover, Woolie and 2 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In fact I think the truth turns out to be surprisingly different. The dominant feature I would suggest is having a second rate mind but wanting to appear to have a first rate mind. These are not 'privileged' people particularly. I don't think they are traditional lefties or righties - they are not interested in being part of a group. Maybe more like Donald and Melania.

13. arewenearlythereyet

well I think it's an elegant and well designed profile ...and don't forget I've loosened the criteria so you only need 4 out of 10. I can do anything I like after all...as long as it's before the publication date.

14. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

Some 2nd-rate minds growing up around 1st-rate minds seem to feel a lot of pressure to do something that other people will view as being exceptional. Privilege usually goes with that upbringing, if the parents are high-earners as a result of their skills. Then the 2nd-rate minds seem to have a delusion that they are smarter than they are, and that they won't have to work hard to come up with something brilliant. So they sit around and dream up grand theories and wait for the recognition and admiration to roll in.

15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, but the ladies make up for it in enthusiasm & quantity of output.

16. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Whatever age gender or nationality the thing they have in common is they all think they’re emperors but they are walking around naked and it’s starting to be noticed.

17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps responsible parenting ( typhoon swimming) may also be a factor?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A thing of beauty!