1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychosocial treatments for employees with non-specific and persistent physical symptoms associated with indoor air, 2020, Selinheimo et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022399919306683
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2020.109962

Gecko, inox, Yessica and 7 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So the treatments didn't work, but that's OK because the participants found the treatment acceptable.
    Funny how they always have to put a positive spin on null results.

MEMarge, Sean, Snow Leopard and 14 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The treatment being ineffective renders the question of acceptability irrelevant.

MEMarge, Gaspard, Gecko and 9 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Seems to have worked for them so far. :grumpy:

MEMarge, Gecko, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The framing is bizarre: symptoms associated with indoor air. Who makes the association? Baseless assumptions about health anxiety, it seems:
    What evidence? Some. People are saying, I guess. So the "association" is entirely made by the researchers, who then blame it on health anxiety in patients. Talk about eating your cake and having it too. Of course the only relevant thing here is "focus on bodily symptoms", the same old tripe as always and, as always, CBT is the answer to a question no one was asking.

Since the "indoor air" part is completely superfluous, this is simply yet another CBT for MUS (oh, I'm sorry, I guess it's SSD now, rebranding and all), same as every other, useless as every other, irrelevant as every other. I have no idea why they think it's relevant that a useless thing is "acceptable". You can make almost anything acceptable in a clinical context where you instruct people to do something. Feng shui is acceptable to some. Astrology is acceptable to some. Hell, hazing is acceptable to some. Completely irrelevant.

I also have no idea what is psychosocial about CBT. It's 100% psychological, just say it, nobody cares and you look like a bunch of charlatans when you misrepresent your intent like that.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Surely if you want to test if people are affected by indoor air, you'd open the windows or send them outside, not give them CBT.

Mithriel, MEMarge, Gaspard and 11 others like this.
  7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm scratching my head wondering how CBT for low quality indoor air managed to gain any traction as an idea with anyone.

Clearly somebody is breathing some funny air.

8. rvallee

Which also happens to be everyone.

Next up: a study on a subset of people who eat food?

9. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

probably a rehash of sick building syndrome . very popular with bs artist in the 90s I think . no body bothered checking for all the toxic products that are commonly used in modern manufacturing paint containing fire retardants and such .

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

The employers could start by making sure that buildings are properly cleaned and ventilated especially if they are going to expect people to work in air conditioned offices. Sick buildings notoriously spreading legionnaires through A/c. I worked in a building that had pigeons roosting on the glass roof which wasn’t a/c and had a system of air circulation including some vents on the roof. Some of us in certain parts on the top floor would occasionally come in to find one or two pigeon feathers on the desk. This was of course complained about and management got in some health & safety expert who did testing and reckoned there was no risk from this. Yeah right. In the end they had to put netting on the roof to stop the pigeons roosting.

This research is just to support employers in blaming employees for being ill. Same old story

MEMarge, alktipping, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  11. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

12. rvallee

EzzieD, MEMarge, Lucibee and 5 others like this.