Psychometric evaluation of the ... (DSQ-SF) among adults with Long COVID, ME/CFS, and healthy controls:... 2024 McGarrigle et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 30, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Psychometric evaluation of the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire-Short Form (DSQ-SF) among adults with Long COVID, ME/CFS, and healthy controls: A machine learning approach.

Abstract

Long COVID shares a number of clinical features with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), including post-exertional malaise, severe fatigue, and neurocognitive deficits. Utilizing validated assessment tools that accurately and efficiently screen for these conditions can facilitate diagnostic and treatment efforts, thereby improving patient outcomes. In this study, we generated a series of random forest machine learning algorithms to evaluate the psychometric properties of the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire-Short Form (DSQ-SF) in classifying large groups of adults with Long COVID, ME/CFS (without Long COVID), and healthy controls. We demonstrated that the DSQ-SF can accurately classify these populations with high degrees of sensitivity and specificity. In turn, we identified the particular DSQ-SF symptom items that best distinguish Long COVID from ME/CFS, as well as those that differentiate these illness groups from healthy controls.

Paywall, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/13591053231223882