1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology Today: "Long COVID and Gaslighting", Perkins and Jason

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Those without clear biological explanations of their post-viral symptoms due to COVID sometimes experience gaslighting from the very people who are assigned to be their helpers. Whenever an illness has hard-to-understand symptoms, such as those that affect people with ME/CFS, some experts are too quick to patronize and even undermine efforts to cope with their illness. In a sense, these patients are twice victimized, first by having debilitating symptoms and then by the reaction of others to their illness. With long COVID, particularly where the symptoms persist without easy-to-recognize organic damage, some health professionals have engaged in gaslighting, stigmatizing, and denying the serious nature or legitimacy of their illness."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...-revolution/202204/long-covid-and-gaslighting

alktipping, Ariel, Lisa108 and 5 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, I appreciate the attempt in this article to raise the issue of gaslighting to psychologists, but I don't think it's explained very clearly. The best thing about it is the link to a very good much longer Guardian article, and the fact that it's co-written by a professional psychologist (Dr Perkins), and a psychology professor (Prof Jason), so other psychologists might take the problem seriously.