1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology Today blog platform: "It's All in Your Head - The relationship between contested illnesses and psychiatric illnesses"

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Webdog, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a degree in biology and a lifelong fascination with the subject which means I have read widely but becoming more severely affected and family problems means I may have missed some new findings.

I was under the impression that healing from surgery took at least a year for one thing with nerves being the last thing to mend. The common knowledge after a hysterectomy was that about a year later you would experience a resurgence of pain (maybe mild but even so) as the nerves finally knitted together.

Also they discovered pain gates so pain relief was increased after operations so that they would not be opened as once they were the pain was experienced as worse.

Then I read that they had found that nerves could regenerate in such a way that it was like the difference between your arm and your fingers. What had once been a strong single fibre now became a bunch of smaller fibres but each could carry a signal so the pain was more intense.

Also adhesions causing pain as well.

Have these things been discredited ot forgotten? They make a nonsense of chronic pain being in the mind.

2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

James Coyne tweets his opinion.

coyne.png

Woolie, Andy, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just noticed the name of the authors' blog is "Denying to the grave". And irony died once again. I don't think I've ever read any attempt from ME deniers at explaining why so many ME patients die. It's as if those simply ceased to exist, erased from memory.

As usual, "skeptics" are some of the most gullible people out there about the MAGICAL POWER OF THE MIND, incapable of basic self-reflection.

Arnie Pye, Pechius and EzzieD like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Had minor surgery almost a year ago to open up the nasal passage. Doctors said it can take up to a year for everything to fully settle down structurally, and for normal sensations to return to the nose.

If that is true for minor surgery, then it is true for more major surgery.

Trish, Andy and Arnie Pye like this.