1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychologists Claim ‘Selfitis’ – The Obsessive Need To Post Selfies – Is Now A Mental Disorder

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Psychologists Claim ‘Selfitis’ – The Obsessive Need To Post Selfies – Is Now A Mental Disorder
    This might be coming as a bad news to selfie-takers as psychologists have warned that ‘Selfitis’ – the obsessive need to post selfies on social media – is now a mental disorder; meaning it could have a negative impact on our mental health.

According to the International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Selfitis is an obsessive compulsive desire to take photos of oneself and post them on social media as a way to makeup for the lack of self-esteem and to fill a gap in intimacy.

In a more literal sense, it means those of our friends who usually flood their Instagram and other social media feeds with pictures of themselves – which were actually taken by them – may be suffering from a genuine “psychological complex”.

"
    Also speaking on the matter, Sir Simon Wessely, Professor of Psychological Medicine at King’s College London, was more skeptical about the proposed new condition.

He said: “The research suggests that people take selfies to improve their mood, draw attention to themselves, increase their self confidence and connect with their environment.
    “If that is true then this paper is itself an academic ‘selfie’.”

full article here but be WARNED there are ads that open up in new tabs.
    http://kenvibes.com/2017/12/psychol...eed-to-post-selfies-is-now-a-mental-disorder/

Inara, Forbin, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  2. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is too funny!
    I've never liked taking selfies, but i think they are reading too far into it
    Mental disorders are quite fluid, it seems our mental abilities and foibles change every few years, must be some kind of hyper evolution :woot:

Inara, Forbin, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

That's just sour grapes because he didn't think of it first. Simon Wessely is a walking selfie.

Allele, Inara, Webdog and 14 others like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:!!!!

Inara, Forbin, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Alvin

Inara, Trish and Forbin like this.
  8. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sensing something new coming from Bristol...

The SELFIE Trial!

Self Effectuating Lifting of Fatiguing Illness via photo Exposure

Allele, Inara, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  9. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Unless you are on the beauty community since that is how they make their money!!! and trends setters, celebrities..... I have a list longer that I can post just on people that need to post to increase the traffic and also they make money by posting!!!! Now some old plain common people I agree do have some issues!

Inara likes this.
  10. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To the best of my knowledge there are no photos of me online anywhere, and I've never taken a selfie. I don't have a Facebook account so it is vaguely possible there are a couple of photos of me there that I haven't seen, posted by relatives.

I wonder if refusing to have a photo online will be considered to be a mental disorder one day.

Allele and TiredSam like this.
  11. Alvin

Probably, some kind of reclusive disorder where they will scientifically determine that to be normal you must have a social media account (since on average people do), post exactly X number of photos a week (with a standard deviation) and so on. Beyond 2 standard deviations from the arbitrary "norm" will mean a hyper or hypo [something] disorder.
    There will also probably be treatments offered, from drugs to CBT to more intensive therapies.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Allele, TiredSam and Arnie Pye like this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

In a remarkable turnaround, therapists will then have to encourage patients to focus on the negative.

Valentijn, Trish, Allele and 2 others like this.
  13. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonko and Arnie Pye like this.