1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychological impact of fibromyalgia: current perspectives, 2019, Reyes Del Paso

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.dovepress.com/psycholog...spectives-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-PRBM

MEMarge, JaneL, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I got to this point
    and was thinking in a sarcastic way 'gosh, could they have thrown any more negative assessments of people with fibromyalgia in to this summary?'.

and then the abstract continued
    So, despite what had already seemed a pretty exhaustive list, they could.

It would be interesting to go through the references given to support these statements to see if any are
    1. credible; and
    2. can't be accounted for as being the result of having a painful debilitating illness that many people regard as 'a whining over-reaction by neurotic perfectionists'.

MEMarge, lycaena, shak8 and 8 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

there's more in the main body of the paper e.g. you don't have to go far to get these:

make that a
    ...'a whining over-reaction by fat, lazy, and/or driven, neurotic perfectionists'

MEMarge, lycaena, shak8 and 6 others like this.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just read the paper. What a hoot!!

MEMarge, Hutan, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Isn't having the phrase "the psychological impact of fibromyalgia" in the title the very opposite of what the authors are doing in the article? Rather than looking at how their fibromyalgia impacts psychologically on the individual patient they seem to be asserting that a highly problematic psychology causes their fibromyalgia.

If that was the case why are they not devising a personality test that will with 100% accuracy predict in advance who will get fibromyalgia. Presumably they believe that there are specific personality traits that are necessary and sufficient for fibromyalgia, so they need also to demonstrate that there is no one with fibromyalgia that does not have these traits.

MEMarge, Hutan, shak8 and 6 others like this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought of you @rvallee

You're so right. This stuff is definitely on par with astrology (as you've posted elsewhere).

I predict that authors of papers like this have a self-doubt gene malfunction. Cause that's a real thing you know.

MEMarge, NelliePledge, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK - I haven't read this paper yet - but from all your comments and quotations, it sounds like the authors are name calling - sticks and stones type stuff - as in all pwFM are flaming blankety blanks! Other than swearing, it seems like they've thrown every derogatory psychological term at pwFM.

Are these authors venting?

And, yet shock and surprise, "FMS patients perceive the illness as stigmatized". If your physician, or PS practitioner calls you a flaming what's it, then I would say there is a "tad" of stigma going on there.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    MEMarge, Hutan, shak8 and 2 others like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting review of current trends in thinking and research about fibro. Useful bibliography. But I am not sado-maso.

Of course, it hurts my feelings to read about the emphasis on psychiatric illnesses but then, fibro can drive you mad (in so many ways: OCD, depression, bipolar). If there is some biological brain link, so be it.

It doesn't follow that everyone with (and what it is called now but widespread chronic pain (+ 20 other symptoms) has a mental illness.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    DokaGirl likes this.
  9. EnlightenMe

EnlightenMe New Member

Well if one has all the physical issues associated with Fibro including poor sleep, high anxiety and cortisol...
    and no one understands you and the medical community is dismissive and friends and family don’t understand ...
    and you lose your ability to work, socially he active, and keep up with friends, household duties etc ...

and take pride in your work and your finances are then dismal ...

Then what psychological state do they expect us to be in? I mean really.

Seems like they have the cart before the horse.

Amw66, MEMarge, Squeezy and 4 others like this.