1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychological and psychiatric aspects of psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES): A systematic review Brown & Reuber 2016

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Jan 29, 2021.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychological and psychiatric aspects of psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES): A systematic review - PubMed (nih.gov)
    I thought this review from 2016 of Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES) was quite interesting because it suggests we know very little about this condition and that the name - implying a psychological cause - is inappropriate.

I haven't found much criticism of the PNES however in the literature, for example by patients or physicians who think the attribution to a psychological cause is inappropriate. Large epilepsy foundations also seem to promote the PNES and psychogenic theories about it, without difficulty. See for example: The Truth about Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures | Epilepsy Foundation

Are there forum members who know more about PNES? For example reliable evidence why the term psychogenic is justified or criticism of why it is not?

Dolphin, Michelle, Simone and 9 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

The review is quite long: here are some interesting quotes:

Dolphin, Michelle, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

Here are some of the main conclusions:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Dolphin, Michelle, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know much but noticed that many with Long Covid had such seizures without any of the expected findings on EEG. They seem to mostly diminish with time, but it's definitely one of the rarer outcomes so hard to say.

So a pretty decent chance that they are a less common consequence of whatever happens when infections don't resolve entirely, like POTS or brain fog, just one of a lottery of unfortunate outcomes. Almost impossible to study without large scale longitudinal studies.

It's certainly a better explanation than any of the usual nonsense coming out of MUS land, in that at least it's an actual explanation, not just yet another deus ex machina.

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

Here's a systematic review of surveys of patients with 'psychogenic non-epileptic seizures'.
    What patients say about living with psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: A systematic synthesis of qualitative studies - PubMed (nih.gov)

It concludes:
    This message is repeated throughout the paper:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Dolphin, Michelle, Mithriel and 4 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

And here's a Cochrane review from 2014 on psychological and behavioral interventions for patients with PNES. It concludes:
    There was a randomized trial of CBT by Goldstein et al. 2010 that initially reported benefit but the differences were no longer statistically significant at follow-up.

Dolphin, Michelle, Mithriel and 7 others like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

Also interesting is that PNES frequently occurs in patients who have epileptic seizures. See for example:
    read://https_www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC5862101%2F

Soo patients with epileptic seizures frequently have this mysterious psychiatric disorder that also causes seizures...? That seems quite unlikely, to be honest. To me, it suggests there might simply be a connection in the physical pathology of both types of seizures.

Dolphin, Michelle, Mithriel and 5 others like this.
  8. ME/CFS Skeptic

Last year there was this large trial on CBT for PNES, called CODES, but the results for the primary outcome were negative. It reported:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30128-0/fulltext

David Tuller wrote about it here: https://virology.ws/2020/06/11/trial-by-error-a-kings-college-london-press-release-hides-the-bad-news/

Dolphin, Michelle, Mithriel and 5 others like this.