1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Protocol Psychological Adaptiveness to Critical Events (PACE), 2023, University of Oslo

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, May 23, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychological Adaptiveness to Critical Events: an introduction to the PACE study

Psychological Adaptiveness to Critical Events: an introduction to the PACE study — Department of Psychiatry (ox.ac.uk)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1658757830990544897

(I wonder if anyone has told him..........? although I know there is currently yet another PACE trial on radiotherapy(?))

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2023
    shak8, Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  2. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are only so many stupid acronyms that can be used I gyess

EzzieD, Sean, shak8 and 13 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and MEMarge like this.
  4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The numbers of participants preclude obtaining genomic data at the outset?

Or aren't they interested in the bio of the bio-psych-social.

Sean, bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems silly to re-use an acronym when the original has been torn to shreds in so many places.

SNT Gatchaman, EzzieD, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Well, if they knew about 'our' PACE trial, and they agreed with our opinion of it, then yes, it would be silly of them to re-use it, but I would guess they are probably blissfully unaware of it.

EzzieD, Art Vandelay, shak8 and 4 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ironically Ebrahimi seems to be involved with a team that’s part of Oxford University Psychiatry Department, yet it would appear nobody there has mentioned Sharpe’s “masterpiece” to him.

SNT Gatchaman, EzzieD, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  8. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

to be fair I thought one big part of the answer was already known to this:

it’s about how well set-up those who go into these ‘critical events’ already are with regards a decent support network (NOT ‘therapy’ just do you have people to lean on who will help and get it)

and

if you are contending with other ‘critical events’ at the same time. Ie there is a limit as to whether any human can do losing their home and a bereavement and eg a change in job at the same time if they’ve only got crap people around them and no one’s going to offer to help sort any of the above just by virtue of it’s more than a one man job to sort enough fast enough to stay afloat.

bit concerned with these things that they often these days don’t separate by these known factors first

Peter Trewhitt and shak8 like this.
  9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

"Precision Psychiatry"

:facepalm:

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, they have the location of the brain mostly correct: in the body. That's precise, other than the weird notion of separating it from the body, now that's just not precise at all.

Honestly at this point I'm not even sure if the word psychiatric even means anything other than psychiatrists may be involved, relevant or not. It used to be about behavior, then they realized the brain is where it's all at, not the heart, but it's still become a bunch of legitimate things having to do with the brain, while keeping all the old mysticism derived from behavior alone.

It's completely discrediting how the discipline is defined as dealing with mental health, but they're basically obsessed with us despite having nothing to do with that. Basically they can't even tell where their expertise applies most of the time. And I don't think there's a clearer sign of sham expertise than this.

Almost all the new age stuff about stress and fear and the other weird stuff is firmly in psychology, the only reason psychiatry is involved in this is that it's the origin of the discipline.

There are circumstances where the discipline clearly makes sense, but they're botching everything anyway by always making it about a behavioral reaction, never seem able to think that even minor effects on the brain can have huge consequences. And they still firmly reject the germ theory of disease in most circumstances. They literally made generic worrying worse than a pathogen chewing through parts of our brains and injuring other organs. That's just mindless nonsense.

The more I look at medicine, and the more I see a profession that needs a full reset in how it's defined, its specialties and who is responsible for what. Medicine has the most gigantic "technical debt" of all the expert professions. Just looking at how they stick with old bizarre naming schemes and can't seem able to update even that because the entire training is based on memorization.

And to think that one of the most significant impacts of AI in medicine will be to inject humanity into it. We need machines to get humane treatment and basic competence, free of logical fallacies and irrational beliefs. Absurd disaster.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    EzzieD, Sean, Arnie Pye and 1 other person like this.