1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychic future: what next for the ‘precog economy’? Observer UK, 29 September 2019

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by ladycatlover, Sep 30, 2019.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Precognition is the claimed paranormal ability to predict the future – and is widely considered to be pseudoscience. Why, then, is the US psychic industry worth $2bn a year?

by Amelia Tait

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019/sep/29/psychic-future-what-next-for-the-precognition-economy

Just thought you'd all like to get your teeth into this article! :rofl: I should warn you it's a long read, and my quote above is a tiny flavour that isn't really relevant to the *whole* article.

My thoughts are more along the line that our brains take in more information than we're aware of consciously (from TV/radio, from online articles, from newspaper articles and so on) and then sometimes we dream about the stuff we don't know consciously. If that makes any sort of sense.

And sometimes it just comes out without a dream eg for buying stocks and shares, if have been watching companies and reading financial pages - just a feeling that this stock is rising or this stock is falling. It's not really psychic, it's knowledge from reading, possibly over months, keeping an eye on the company's money (thinking of Thomas Cook spectacular crash here), not just its share price up and down.

If over health, maybe due to minor discomfort combined with reading articles in magazines etc might lead to dreams of sickness eg heart attack.

Shrugs, I just thought you all might find the Observer article interesting.

Simbindi, Wonko, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alternatively, maybe everything happens somewhere, it just the people who guess right as to which universe for their consciousness to inhabit in that moment are more 'psychic' than those who don't :laugh::rofl:

'Logically' it makes sense, in a multiverse, for evolution to have come up with something like this, as <insert random pseudoscience here>

TiredSam and Trish like this.