1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychiatrists’ Understanding and Management of Conversion Disorder: A Bi-National Survey and Comparison with Neurologists, 2020, Dent et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open acces, https://www.dovepress.com/psychiatr...n-disorder-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-NDT

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

duh, yeah. tell us something we didn't know.

Squeezy, ukxmrv, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  3. It's M.E. Linda

It's M.E. Linda Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Squeezy, Woolie, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Feigning. Yeah they are feigning being medical professionals

Hutan, Squeezy, Woolie and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is a clear sign of something that is incomplete. Nothing incomplete like this should be used in practice. I genuinely don't mind people pursuing this as a thought experiment for purely academic curiosity. But there is clearly no basis for this to be used in practice. Especially as it violates not only informed consent but clear expression of dissentn.

What these people think about this imaginary concept is not really important, but this ideology clearly has no basis to be used in the real world. The fact that the people who work in this area do not see a problem with that is itself an even larger problem, especially as it has accomplished exactly nothing, remains a bunch of "may be"s and "could be"s yet continues to receive undying support and infinite tolerance for failure and mediocrity.

That millions of lives should be subject to such a childish belief system is an absurdity in itself. Right there with imprisoning people based on their astrological sign, it's a catastrophic failure of professional obligations and presents a system too broken to continue to function.

Squeezy, MEMarge, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  6. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

debating imaginary mechanisms is really just another form of circle jerk--different from the circle jerk where everyone peer-reviews everyone else's great work. This is the competitive rather than collegial form of circle jerk.

Arnie Pye, Squeezy, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  7. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hahaha, they "strongly" endorsed an interpretation to a model which in itself consists of such, or rather this, interpretation (otherwise the complaints wouldn´t reflect a "conversion").

Squeezy, ukxmrv, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know a clinical psychologist who deals mostly with AIDS patients. He told me that when patients aren’t clinically depressed, yet need continued supportive therapy, he will sometimes use a diagnosis of conversion disorder to justify the extra sessions to insurance. The patients don’t actually have conversion disorder.

For him, a diagnosis of conversion disorder can be nothing more than an insurance billing code for ongoing therapy beyond the allotment of covered sessions.

Squeezy, ukxmrv, alex3619 and 9 others like this.
  9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any unambiguous evidence that conversion disorders exist beyond the imagination of psychiatrists, psychologists and psychoanalysts and those patients they manage to convince? Did it grow out of the bizarre sexually repressed imaginations of nineteenth century Vienna as much of Freud’s thinking did (such a shame that such a brilliant mind that saw the profound limitations of psychological modelling responded by abandoning science for flights of literary fantasy) or does it correspond to some reality?

I find it hard to believe that such a widely used concept has no basis empirical reality, but in terms of my experience in relation to ME this does seem to be the case. Is there an original core of patients that unambiguously have a conversion disorder but the term is now grossly over used, or is it a total fabrication?

Squeezy, Keela Too, duncan and 9 others like this.
  10. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This wikipedia article says that conversion disorder is FND

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_disorder#History

I would paraphrase or copy, but it is, frankly, too distressing.

Though maybe this bit

Hutan, Squeezy and Woolie like this.
  11. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah, yes, that makes perfect sense as an explanation for diseases that are largely known for LITERALLY BEING INVISIBLE! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You can't see it. Doctors can't see it. Even the best tools of modern technology can't see it. But obviously during tribal warfare (and let's be clear here the vast majority of humanity lived as hunter-gatherers where warfare was not a thing in the modern sense, as there literally were no groups of people large enough to be considered anything more than a skirmish) people will see the invisible illness and... what? copy it?! ... make themselves appear vulnerable?

"Oh, that Mork looks in distress, spare him" is one very quick way to get shanked in the back by said Mork and his friends. Do these people ever hear the content of their words? Or do they simply never tire of hearing the sound of their voice no matter what nonsense it makes?

12. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But there seems to me a meanness of spirit underpinning it. People are being harmed, but still this spectacle continues and encouraged and rewarded, like 19th century gentry gathering to hunt fox. It almost has the feel of perdition.

Hutan, Squeezy, ukxmrv and 3 others like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No.

14. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Conversion disorders. Psychosomatic illness.

It's just what doctors label patients with when they're too insecure in their medical knowledge and abilities to just say, "You're clearly ill, but I don't know what it is and don't know how to help you."

So they make it the patient's problem instead.

Life-destroying assholes. In the thousands. And thousands.

Screenshot_20200914-141843~2.png

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In my view three important words need to come out of a doctor's mouth regularly ... "I don't know."

Squeezy, rvallee, MEMarge and 6 others like this.