1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychedelic treatment of functional neurological disorder: a systematic review, 2020, Butler et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 22, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2045125320912125

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, are those problematic? Because they basically define all FND literature. In fact this is basically the recipe for how to conduct this type of research. As in every single one of the studies and experiments have those as prominent features. Every. Single. One. And then some, like switching outcomes, selective reporting, cherry-picking, weird philosophizing over how the results don't support the conclusions but the conclusions should still stand as aspirational or whatever.

One thing for sure in this type of experiment participants will report having enjoyed the experience. It will not lead to anything useful but, hey, if people like it isn't that just the same as a cure? Of course not but let's argue the point anyway, this is conversion disorder, nothing matters and everything is made up.

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"We don't know how to treat these patients, so let's see if tripping out makes them forget about it. After all, we shut up lots of women in the 1970s and 80s by drugging them up with tranquillisers, and no-one criticised us for that – at least, no-one who matters."

4. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think psychedelics should be looked at, they work on 5ht2a mostly, I think that this could be a player in me/cfs.

spinoza577 likes this.