1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Proposed model of integrated care to improve health outcomes for individuals with multimorbidities (2012) Sampalli et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Milo, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please discuss. This is a model of care for ME and FM program in Nova Scotia.

Proposed model of integrated care to improve health outcomes for individuals with multimorbidities

Abstract:

Multimorbidity is defined as the coexistence of multiple chronic conditions.

Individuals with multimorbidity typically present with complex needs and show significant changes in their functional health and quality of life.

Multimorbidity in the aging population is well recognized, but there has been limited research on ways to manage the problem effectively.

More recent studies have demonstrated a high prevalence of multimorbidity in the younger demographics aged under 65 years.

There is a definite need to develop models of care that can manage these individuals effectively and mitigate the impact of illness on individuals and the financial burden to the health care system.

An integrated model of care has been developed and implemented in a facility in Nova Scotia that routinely treats individuals with multiple chronic conditions.

This care model is designed to address the specific needs of this complex patient population, with integrated and coordinated care modules that meet the needs of the person versus the disease.

The results of a pilot evaluation of this care model are also discussed

Open access here

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Milo

Basically, they are saying screw whatever you have, we are focusing instead on wellbeing and wellness. We call this health care.

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same old top-down by physicians for physicians formula. They never bother looking at the problem, only what they can deliver, strictly supply-side thinking. Naïve and superficial, as always when they're only interested in answering their own questions, regardless of whether it's relevant to the problem.

Reminds me of the Soviet Politburo and their economic mismanagement, the highest level of government trying to figure out things like how many pantyhoses women need each year so they can order manufacturing to meet the imaginary demand a group of powerful old men can manage to think of. Or a marriage guide written by the oldest Catholic priests one can find.

And as usual it completely misses out on opportunity cost and externalities, with the framing of health care costs. Because they only ever think of direct health care expenses, never about the long chain of economic consequences leaving millions unable to work leaves in its wake. Basically if a cost isn't on their ledger, it doesn't exist. I personally like my economic analysis to respect object permanence. Same with my health care. I hope one day to experience such a thing, but this isn't it, it's the same old.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

As the paper is 2012 has it been implemented? Or is it being proposed in which case you’d think they would take a look at what has happened in the last decade first.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. Milo

Definitely implemented, and with mixed reviews. Some love it while others yearn for less meditation, hand holding, less kumbaya and more biomedical, more research and hopefully one day, clinical trials