1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK clinic: Harley Therapy

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by CRG, Dec 20, 2022.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Princess Syndrome/Harley Therapy

A depressing aspect of the role of psychology in ME/CFS is that as profession psychology and associated disciplines have a high percentage of female practitioners yet this doesn't translate into positive support for patients in a disease in which women are notably affected.

The negative presentation of patients isn't limited to ME/CFS - I thought this was very revealing of the animus that seems to exist amongst some female psychologists toward all females as a subjects of psychological analysis, albeit in this case, unasked for and ethics breaking analyis:

The quoted psych (Jacobson) is Sheri Heather Jacobson founder of Harley Therapy company details = HARLEY THERAPY LIMITED

Inevitably Harley Therapy offers counselling for ME/CFS: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Counselling

"How can counselling help with chronic fatigue syndrome?

From work and money, to relationships and family, chronic fatigue syndrome can affect all areas of your life. The feelings of distress, anger, fear, frustration, and powerlessness this can bring can trigger or worsen physical symptoms, leading to a vicious cycle of misery and ill health.

Counselling and psychotherapy breaks this cycle by tackling such complex and powerful emotions head on, and giving you effective coping strategies to change the ways you think, feel and behave. This can mean a greater sense of control over your condition and over flareups and relapses. Your therapist can also help you to remain on track with goals like lifestyle changes, and teach you relaxation techniques to cope better with pain and discomfort.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommends cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to help those with ME/CFS manage their symptoms, improve their daily coping, and navigate the psychological and emotional problems that come hand-in-hand."

Do we think they may diagnose ME/CFS princesses who seek out illnesses from a need to be victimised and rescued ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2023
    JemPD, Wonko, bobbler and 6 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Goldwater rule" is one of those rules that aren't really a rule, as the weird episodes with the FND ideologues "diagnosing" Justin Bieber or from watching videos on tik-tok show. A rule with many, many exceptions.

Of course psychosomatics is fully exempt from this, the very premise of "mass hysteria" or "social contagion" is based on this very breach of a "prohibited" thing.

JemPD, Chezboo, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure that NICE actually recommends CBT. It does recommend discussing CBT, so maybe this is not a complete misrepresentation. It is a pity it got in the guideline at all but those who tried hard to make it sensible are not to blame.

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Analyzing someone's presumed thought processes and emotions, a game the whole family can play.

JemPD, Chezboo, Arnie Pye and 9 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommends cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to help those with ME/CFS manage their symptoms, improve their daily coping, and navigate the psychological and emotional problems that come hand-in-hand.

Marketing fluff.

Leaving aside that NICE didn't, psychs have not generally demonstrated such a realistic grasp of the issues confronting ME/CFS patients that entitles them to lecture those patients on how to productively and humanely deal with those issues. Takes some serious gall to pretend otherwise at this stage of history.

Patients do not need micromanaging. Delicate foolish helpless little snowflakes we are not. Trust me, psychs, we don't survive decades of this by falling at the first hurdle. Or the 3721st.

You guys are so clearly lacking the full context and reasons why we 'behave' the way we do, the extraordinary constraints we have to operate under (including the appalling consequences of inappropriate psychologisation), and you are clearly resistant to facing up to that. Have you ever considered that maybe patients are actually doing an amazing job in the circumstances, and that psychs don't have much to teach us?

What patients really need from medicine is to be told the basics of the actual situation (primarily that medicine has no good explanations or answers or treatments yet, and that it is not the fault of patients), plus normal standard baseline medical care, and support in medico-legal hearings and policy advice. All without prejudice.

Learn to say: We don't know.

And mean it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    alktipping, JemPD, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How different her tone is when she is trying to sell a product either directly to someone or 'trust me I'll take good care of em' to someone around them.

Interesting for someone to start picking out and putting alongside each other the various things an individual has actually said .

Of course the question in my head is why would someone think it was a good idea to be quoted saying such things (it's not like this was an off-the-cuff-remark caught out of context was it?) .... lots of possibilities going on there I guess

alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"The psychologist should be firmly reminded of the Goldwater Rule which states It is unethical and against practice rules to distance diagnose someone you have never met with a disorder or issue."

hah. 'TV psychologists' do this all the time.

maybe they think it doesn't count if you make up a disorder, or invent your own name/acronym and diagnostic criteria.

8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well said.

Words like "manage", "improve daily coping", and "navigate", are very optimistic when it comes to ME.

There is no treatment for this disease. Certainly not mind over matter. ME is not some simple little problem that can be thought away.

alktipping, RedFox, EzzieD and 3 others like this.
  9. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is reminiscent of psychiatrists and psychologists who have distance-diagnosed controversial political figures such as Trump, so breaking the Goldwater rule to generate polemics for the sake of entertainment in the media seems commonplace.

10. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Harley therapy website: What is Conversion Disorder?

https://www.harleytherapy.co.uk/counselling/what-is-conversion-disorder.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2023
    DokaGirl, Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  11. ToneAl

ToneAl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why Why why?
    Why is the sudden push to advert conversion disorder given a century of fails and stuff ups

12. Sean

EzzieD, FMMM1, TigerLilea and 8 others like this.
  13. CRG

14. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Always helpful when toxic terminology is associated with someone who is demonstrably unserious and unprofessional.

EzzieD, Michelle, FMMM1 and 4 others like this.
  15. CRG

16. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

• Strategist

• Consultant

• Storyteller

• Mentor

• Author

• Journalist

• Changemaker

• Dreamer

Why do these lists never include things like lathe operator or mining engineer?

17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'changemaker', 'dreamer' oh cringe, :sick:

EzzieD, FMMM1, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the last week or two we have heard of AI machines that can produce stuff that sounds almost as if it was written by a human. Today we discover that there are humans that can produce stuff that sounds almost as if it were written by a bot - but not quite that good.

19. Sean

Turing got it wrong. It wasn't how smart and human-like machines could become. It was how dumb and machine-like humans could.

20. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See posts:

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-34#post-465301

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-34#post-465312

https://www.s4me.info/threads/updat...-terminology-systems.3912/page-34#post-465351

for information on a recent request to add the term "Functional neurological disorder" to SNOMED CT.

(Note the term "Functional neurological disorder" is already included in SNOMED CT as a Synonym under parent: Psychologic conversion disorder (disorder) SCTID: 20734000. It was apparently added to the January 2021 release of the International Edition and incorporated by all the national editions.)

ICD-11 is already released and can be used by early adopters. NHS Digital has said it does not anticipate that NHS England will be ready to migrate from ICD-10 to ICD-11 until at least 2026.

SNOMED CT is now mandated for use across NHS England primary care and all secondary care settings. It has replaced the, now retired, Read Codes/CTV3 primary care terminology system.

Prior to July 2015, all editions of SNOMED CT had the following listings for CFS, ME and PVFS:

Chronic fatigue syndrome (with ME – Myalgic encephalomyelitis and several other related and historical terms listed under Synonyms) was assigned two parent disorder classes: Mental disorder, and Multisystem disorder.

Following representations in 2014-15, the Countess of Mar was advised that the relationship between the entry for 52702003 Chronic fatigue syndrome and the Mental disorder parent had been retired. In future editions, Chronic fatigue syndrome would be listed under the single parent, 281867008 Multisystem disorder.

In 2017, SNOMED CT terminology managers decided that the Multisystem disorder concept term was not sufficiently specific for the purposes of their system and the term was inactivated (retired) for the January 2018 release across the entire system.

There had been 90 Children terms under SCTID: 281867008 Multisystem disorder (disorder) and the retirement of this parent concept had implications for all of these 90 terms — not just for Chronic fatigue syndrome and its Synonym terms.

Many of these 90 Children terms were assigned under a more specific parent but a few, including Chronic fatigue syndrome, had no new parent assigned to them.

This presented an opportunity to request a more specific parent for Chronic fatigue syndrome rather than being listed only under Clinical finding > Disease (disorder).

In February 2018, a formal request and rationale for adding the parent: Disorder of nervous system was submitted*. This was accepted by the terminology team and Chronic fatigue syndrome was classified under parent: Disorder of nervous system (disorder) for the SNOMED CT July 2018 release.

*Disclosure: I was heavily involved in this submission on behalf of Forward-ME.

SNOMED terminology team later revised the parents to:

Clinical finding (finding)
    Disease (disorder)
    Chronic disease (disorder)
    Disorder of body system (disorder)
    Disorder of nervous system (disorder)
    Chronic nervous system disorder (disorder)

Energy and stamina finding (finding)
    Clinical finding (finding)
    General problem AND/OR complaint (finding)
    Fatigue (finding)

So for SNOMED CT, already in use within NHS England, there had been a change of parent in 2018 from Multisystem disorder to Disorder of nervous system.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023