1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Primary Exertion Headaches

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

wondering if this might be related to PEM?

The cause is as yet unknown although there are some hypotheses.
    https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/exerciseinduced-headaches-prevention-management-and-treatment

this is obviously aimed at healthy people who exercise and suggests 'building up tolerance'.
    (hmm where have I heard that before.)

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. It is not something I had heard of.

Headaches and migraine type headaches are a feature of my ME/PEM and of my food intolerances though in both instances they are delayed, however when I my ME was milder and I was more likely to push through I could also get headaches that kicked in during activity. These could happen during physical exertion though they were more likely when I was still working to kick in on my drive home.

I also remember one occasion having taken my godson and his girl friend out for the day really struggling to drive home through the headache and ending up throwing up as I got out of the car. However, then I was generally doing too much and it was before I was aware of my food intolerances, so it was harder to know what was due to what.

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

As a kid exercise was a trigger for my migraines that could last up to three days. I have wondered sometimes if it was the first signs of my ME, but I outgrew it and headaches are not a common PEM symptom for me (I can get pulsating pain around the eyes at times I've overexerted myself, but it is nowhere near what it used to be and is not always followed by other PEM symptoms).