1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Press release: A Better Understanding of ME/CFS Could Benefit Long COVID Patients (on the special edition of the journal WORK on ME/CFS & LC)

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Dolphin, Aug 24, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Better Understanding of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Could Benefit Long COVID Patients
    https://workjournal.org/news-blog/b...ischronic-fatigue-syndrome-could-benefit-long

A special section of the journal WORK provides important insights into the overlap and differences between these diseases as researchers and practitioners work to improve care for all patients suffering from these conditions

Amsterdam, the Netherlands – While myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and Long COVID are not the same disease, they appear to have features of overlapping biological and symptomatic presentations. Many people with Long COVID meet the diagnostic criteria of ME/CFS. Long COVID scientists and clinicians could expedite research and care protocols by utilizing information and experiences gained from the ME/CFS community. A special section of WORK: A Journal of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation aims to provide a better understanding of the ME/CFS and Long COVID disease process and lived experience and provides tools to improve the overall care of patients.

ME/CFS is a multisystem complex disease with the cardinal symptom being post-exertional malaise (PEM); the worsening of symptoms following exertion. The Long COVID community refers to this symptom as post-exertional symptom exacerbation (PESE). ME/CFS deprives individuals of their occupations, relationships, and the ability to receive adequate healthcare.

Guest Editor of this curated collection, Amy Mooney, MS OTR/L, whose occupational therapy practice OT4ME is based in Riverside, IL, USA, explains, "Access to appropriate medical care and progress in developing treatment have been very slow for ME/CFS patients. This is further complicated by having to fight the stigma of ME/CFS being viewed as a lazy or anxious person’s disease and not as the serious life-altering disease it is. However, with the onslaught of Long COVID, more attention has been given to the devastating impact this disease has on quality of life. These patients need more qualified care providers who have the most up-to-date research, care guidelines, and the inquisitiveness to solve difficult medically complex cases."

Continues at:
    https://workjournal.org/news-blog/b...ischronic-fatigue-syndrome-could-benefit-long

ahimsa, bobbler, rvallee and 5 others like this.