1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Preprint:CFS/ME, FM: “Therapeutic Test” and .. treatment .. clots and hypoperfusion, 2021, Chang, Figueredo

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Trish, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Full title:
    CFS/ME, FM: “THERAPEUTIC TEST” AND FIRST TREATMENT SCHEME FOR PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC FATIGUE AND BRAIN FOG TO ASSIST THE DIAGNOSIS OF PERSISTENT CLOTS AND HYPOPERFUSION.
    For patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis,
    Fibromyalgia, Persistent Symptoms of COVID, Chronic Lyme, Herpesvirus, EBV,
    Bartonella, Babesia, Enterovirus, Coxsackievirus, HPV, Gulf War Disease,
    Alzheimer's and, other Diseases that present Chronic Fatigue and Brain Fog.

Aguirre-Chang, Gustavo and Trujillo Aurora. ResearchGate. October 23, 2021.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...BiRGn3BZ8SYQuHiOXB_ueNUz-Cwv_cCYrCfom3Q565-Z4

BACKGROUND The symptoms of Chronic Fatigue and Brain Fog are associated more frequently with Endothelial Dysfunction and less Blood Flow. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) affects many people, and often in addition to fatigue, patients present with various neurological symptoms known collectively as Brain Fog. Several studies have been published in which it is evidenced that, both in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and in the so-called Brain Fog, there is less blood flow and / or long-term dysfunction (inadequate functioning) at the level of the cells that make up the walls of blood vessels (endothelial cells and pericytes) [1-4].

Subgroup of CFS/ME associated with Endothelial Dysfunction and Persistent Clots. Our approach is that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) include several Subgroups according to their pathophysiology and the causes that originate the symptoms, and most of the cases of CFS/ME correspond to a Subgroup in which there is an inadequate functioning of the blood vessels, more specifically a dysfunction of the endothelial cells, which in a high percentage is accompanied by a lower blood flow and a state of long-term hypercoagulability, with the presence of persistent clots that are attached to the vascular walls and also circulating intravascularly.

Other Subgroups of CFS/ME. There are other Subgroups within CFS/ME, such as that associated with Dysbiosis, SIBO or alteration of the Intestinal Microbiota, a situation in which D-Lactate is increased.

There are also Subgroups associated with Vitamin depletion (especially B complex) and Subgroups associated with decreased hormones (especially thyroid and adrenal). It should be taken into account that patients with CFS/ME can frequently present symptoms associated with several of the Subgroups of CFS/ME, being frequent that they present at the same time Endothelial Dysfunction, Dysbiosis or SIBO, and vitamin B complex depletion Endothelial dysfunction and persistent clots cause tissue hypoperfusion.

Long-term dysfunction of the blood vessel walls and the presence of persistent clots causes a decrease in the perfusion of fluids from the bloodstream to the cells and tissues, which is called tissue hypoperfusion, which implies a lower contribution to cells and tissues of:
    - Oxygen (generating cellular hypoxia).
    - Vitamins.
    - Nutrients.
    - Hormones. -
    Other substances.

Long-term tissue hypoperfusion affects the normal functioning of organs and systems, especially those that require a greater supply of oxygen and nutrients, which are mainly the musculoskeletal system, the brain and the lungs.

Endothelial Dysfunction, Persistent Clots, and Hypoperfusion are not detectable with routine exams. The inadequate functioning of endothelial cells (endothelial dysfunction) and tissue hypoperfusion cause various organs and systems to not respond adequately when they are required, but it is a problem in the functioning that usually does not produce obvious tissue damage This is why most of the ancillary tests that are ordered routinely tend to be normal, such as X-rays, CT scans and routine laboratory tests.

Persistent Clots as a Cause of Hypoperfusion and Hypoxia. We have suggested that the main cause of tissue Hypoperfusion and cellular Hypoxia is due to the presence of persistent clots, which are characterized by having a high fibrin content [5,6]. On the one hand, adhered or fixed clots, as they are covering the wall of the blood vessels, create a layer or wall that reduces the perfusion of oxygen and substances from the blood to the tissues, and on the other hand, hypercoagulability and clots to Intravascular level they generate a slow blood flow which leads in the same way to a lower supply of oxygen, nutrients and other substances to the different tissues of the organism Persistent bioclots as a refuge for viruses and other microorganisms. We have also explained that viruses and other organisms that cause persistent intracellular infections take refuge in persistent clots that are high in fibrin [7,8,9,10]. Because these clots perform similar functions to Bioflims, we have named them Bioclots.

Further headings:

D-DIMER ANALYSIS FOR THE DIAGNOSIS OF PERSISTENT CLOTS.

MEASUREMENT OF VENOUS GASES AS AN AID TO THE DIAGNOSIS OF HYPOPERFUSION.

“THERAPEUTIC TEST” TO ASSIST THE DIAGNOSIS OF PERSISTENT BIOCOAGULES AND HYPOPERFUSION.

Objectives of the "Therapeutic Test" for Persistent Bioclots and Hypoperfusion.

MEDICATIONS AND SUPPLEMENTS INCLUDED IN THE "THERAPEUTIC TEST" FOR PERSISTENT BIOCLOTS AND HYPOPERFUSION.

2. Trish

Note this is a preprint, so not peer reviewed. I have no idea whether it's any good, or just another untested protocol.

3. Trish

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not meaningful science. It looks like a physician in Peru who has decided to treat patients on the basis on no real understanding of the pathology.

Anybody can post on Researchgate, just like Facebook or Twitter.

Hutan, RedFox, Wonko and 11 others like this.
  5. Trish

Thanks, @Jonathan Edwards. I suspected that was the case. It looks like he's jumping on the Apheresis bandwagon as well as the other protocols various people have come up with over the years. Maybe there's something in some of it, but we don't have the research evidence yet to say it has any relevance to pwME.

I noticed someone on social media who has ME and has had one round of apheresis now says they have found out they don't have microclots. But it does seem like it is a real thing in at least some people with Long covid.

alktipping, DokaGirl, Ash and 4 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've read that severely ill COVID-19 patients likely die as the result of micro clots formed in the lungs that spread to cause deadly damage to organs throughout the body.

A high number of pwME would have died from micro clots by now if this was the case for us.

I've been tested and its certainly not an issue in my case.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure about that. Some lumps have been found in tubes of blood exposed to various procedures. All the mentions on the net are from the same lab.

As @Mij says, if people with LongCovid or people with ME had these then problems would be making themselves clear. Following Covid people are prone to various medical disasters bu not as far as I know the sort of multi-organ failure that you see with widespread clot dissemination in vivo.

obeat, Michelle, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

When something is supposed to be effective for a very large bunch of conditions, it is often very suspect.

9. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

Sean, alktipping, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Especially as people get into old age, surely.

A relative of ours developed ME during the second world war, and had it until she died of pneumonia aged 92. It'd be surprising to live with blood clots for 70 years, and yet never develop problems such as thromboses or TIAs or phlebitis. (Someone on the other side of the family does have sticky blood—Hughes' syndrome—and had ticked all those off by her late 30s).

Plenty of others have had ME for decades too, but haven't run into the sort of problems you'd expect.

Hutan, Michelle, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, that is one of the main warning signs of a pseudo-scientific claim. It explains everything.

alktipping, Trish, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  12. 5vforest

5vforest Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if the clot hypothesis is even necessary if the microcirculation were constricted enough to slow down the transit of red blood cells. I'd assume it couldn't be so constricted that it would stop blood flow entirely or you'd start to see cell death.

It again reminds me of the outbreak of "Infectious Venulitis" at Mercy San Juan Hospital in Sacramento, California in 1975. Apart from the frank bruising seen in some of the patients, the doctor who led the investigation believed that the other aspects of the post-viral illness were very similar to those of myalgic encephalomyelitis.

http://me-pedia.org/images/6/6e/Erich_Ryll_Infectious_Venulitis.pdf