Predicting Adherence to Walking from Anxiety, Depression, Disease Impact, Catastrophizing, and Cognitive Fusion in Patients with FM.. 2022 Catala

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Predicting Adherence to Walking from Anxiety, Depression, Disease Impact, Catastrophizing, and Cognitive Fusion in Patients with Fibromyalgia: Does Pain Severity Matter?

Abstract

Aim: This study analyzed whether the contribution of several factors associated with walking adherence in fibromyalgia (FM) patients varies across pain severity levels.

Methods: Participants were 228 women with FM (mean age 57 years; SD = 8.49).

Results: Bivariate analyses replicated the expected association between predictors (FM impact, anxiety, depression, catastrophizing, and cognitive fusion) and poorer adherence to walking. Multivariate analyses showed a negative contribution of FM impact, catastrophizing, and depression on walking adherence after controlling for pain levels (all p < 0.01). A moderation effect of pain severity in the relationship between predictors and adherence to walking was only found for cognitive fusion (B = −0.01, t = −2.02, p = 0.040). Specifically, cognitive fusion only contributed to poor walking adherence at moderate and severe pain levels, but not when pain was mild. The contribution of the remaining predictors was not moderated by pain levels, which means that they contributed to walking adherence irrespective of the pain severity of the patient. Pain severity did not contribute to walking adherence when controlling for the predictors.

Conclusion: Clinical implications are discussed from the perspective of personalized interventions and preferable target interventions when attempting to increase adherence to walking in this population.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/24/16453

DokaGirl, oldtimer and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Read in conjunction with this study also posted today, this conclusion looks pretty silly. There's only any point adhering to a program if it's going to help.
    Can Exercise Affect the Pain Characteristics in Patients with Fibromyalgia? A Randomized Controlled Trial 2022 Vrouva et al

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yet another walking research report from Madrid, Spain. From a Department of Psychology and a hospital General Surgery and Digestive Disorders Unit (the latter hardly a field known for FM expertise).

Since there is no drug regimen that helps more than 15% of FM patients decrease their pain 30 per cent or less, the reviews of FM research chant "exercise, exercise, exercise" as a sort exorcism for FM pain. The original research that gets over-cited must have been done on mildly-afflicted FM patients.

Yes, the body is built for movement. Exercise makes normal people feel good.

But in FM, there are wide swaths of the body that generate huge amount of signals that become pain in the brain.

Exercise, including walking requires a careful self-monitoring of how activated the various muscles groups (legs, for instance) are at the moment of contemplating walking, etc.

Less is more.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sometimes you can lead a horse to the water, dunk its head in the water, splash it, douse it, sprinkle it with water, and you still can't make it drink it.

But more than anything they think the patients are stupid. Just a giant false attribution error. And not only that, but entirely devoid of self-reflection:
    It's all projection. All of it. They project their own failures onto us, their own failure to think and reason.

This is arbitrary and loses all value by being reduced to a binary value:
    Lies, damned lies and statistics and all at once. It's been decades of the same identical crap and no one seems able to think that this is an issue. Even medieval alchemists were more serious than this.

5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What even the hell is this nonsense?
    If you told me this was written by alien robots trying to understand human behavior I would believe it entirely based on the probability of aliens and no other factor. Because this may as well have been written by alien robots trying to understand biological beings and just failing miserably by mixing words that sound relevant but aren't.

DokaGirl, alktipping and oldtimer like this.
  6. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL. Unbelievably real.

Couldn't agree more. The patriarchal health care system still holding strong. It is the basis of all of the pain education programs. "We believe your pain will be better if you understand it's all your fault and by doing what we say, you will be liberated"

So tired with it all.

7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In conversation with a person formerly in the health care field, they made a point of repeating that patients are viewed as stupid.

About believing your pain is real, I was told that, and then offered a Valium prescription.

Turned out I had a bona-fide infection not picked up on X-Ray.

alktipping and Trish like this.
  8. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like to walk back what I said, at least partially. It is absolutely frustrating and upsetting to see how the most neglected diseases, and their sufferers are treated in health care. I cannot though put all health care professionals in the same boat. Some are going the extra mile to be and work with patients and are trying their very best.

I was one of them health care professionals, and I saw what my colleagues did day in and day out (mind you, in other well funded and respected fields)

As a whole though, there is a systemic failure for patients living with ME, FM and other related diseases starting from governments and universities. It is hard to undo what's been ingrained in so many brains.