1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Precision-based exercise as a new therapeutic option for children and adolescents with haematological malignancies, 2020, Lanfranconi et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-69393-1

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

M A R K E T I N G

Amw66, MarcNotMark, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I pity the adolescents subjected to this approach. As I have indicated elsewhere, I can see no reason why you need to exercise specifically after successful outcome from a severe illness. With a successful outcome you should return to normal fitness when ready. A few people may not, but we have no reason to think that pushing them would help. In fact, if there is some reason why they do not return to normal fitness it is very likely that pushing will have a negative effect. It isn't as if this was any more than common sense. WHY PUSH PEOPLE? The whole idea of 'rehabilitation' for systemic ill health is nonsense.

The fact that most people who undergo exercise programmes get fitter is completely irrelevant.

4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The last bit of the abstract got to me:
    Oh really? Because being able to run and climb stairs increases your chances of social inclusion? Is this what they’re after? Social inclusion after cancer?

Amw66, Arnie Pye, Mij and 2 others like this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Imagine going to a mechanic with a because the alternator on the car doesn't work and having them tell you you just need to drive it more.

Sure, in the normal scheme of things, driving your car charges the battery via the alternator but if the alternator no longer works..... you've no power to start the engine or anything else.

Telling people who cannot exercise that exercise is the cure is beyond stupid.

It's downright cruel.